This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pto won't stay engaged - solved

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hokies_1986
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17201

pto won't stay engaged - solved

Postby hokies_1986 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 pm

First, thanks to all who have shared knowledge on this site - my first 2 years of getting my worn out square hood running - and keeping it running - gives me hope at every new - ummm - "challenge". So this spring's problem was the PTO wouldn't stay engaged when mowing - about 100 feet and it would kick out. I tried all the tricks i found reading this forum - adjusted the guide plate (worked for a while). Held it in place with my hand while mowing - (worked for a while). Rear PTO bearing sloppy - replaced. No better. Shifter pin worn 1/2 thru - replaced - no better. Noticed the needle bearings falling out of the transmission shaft bearing; replaced; no better. At this point, I felt a regular pulsing while holding the pto shifter when engaged. Finally decided to replace everything - the rear transmission shaft/pto bushing, the transmission shaft, the pto shaft, guide plate, and the pto collar. Works great now! Transmission shaft was definitely bent. I believe that was probably the root cause, but with so many other worn parts, I'll never know. Only had to split it twice this year in prime mowing season to get it solved (*sigh*).

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pto won't stay engaged - solved

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:07 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sometimes they are a bear to figure out what is wrong.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pto won't stay engaged - solved

Postby clintmo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Been there. Went down a very similar path trying to track down the problem. Finally replaced everything as well, but I did it at a Cubfest, so I had lots of help. I'm into the second season of sickle mowing with it and all is well.

Glad you got yours nailed down. This forum is priceless.

Clint

Return to “Farmall Cub”