This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Driveshaft wear around transmission seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RobertFB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06794
Circle of Safety: Y

Driveshaft wear around transmission seal

Postby RobertFB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi there,
Searched through the posts and couldn't find a discussion of axle seal wear - where the axle shaft passes through the transmission/differential seal it is grooved pretty badly and the brake band was soaked in transmission fluid.

I ordered a new gasket/seal kit but wondering if it will seal with the groove there. Should I look into a seal repair sleeve or something?

Shaft also has scoring from a brake drum spinning (no woodruff key??) but doesn't look too worn down so going to try it with a new drum.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: Driveshaft wear around transmission seal

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. Without pictures of the parts, I can't tell how badly worn they are.
If they look bad to you, they probably need something, repair with a sleeve, or replacing.
JP Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page has used parts, you could ask him what they cost, if you can't get the ones you have to work.
The new seals are thin, they might run on the shaft where there is no wear, if you had the thick original seals before, but might be hard to tell where it's running on the new seal, you have to put the final drive unit on and then you can't see the seal and shaft, unless you can look in through the brake rod holes with a light and see it. :)

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 pm

welcome to the forum, sounds like its time for a axle shaft
Tim

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm

You might want to price the difference between a used replacement axle and the cost of a speedi-sleeve. It may be a toss up.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

RobertFB
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RobertFB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, it looks pretty worn. If this was the vibration damper on the front of a car engine I'd toss it but I realize there is less oil/pressure on this seal. I'll check the position of the seal on the shaft as suggested too - should not be hard to measure from the edge of the factory seal to the lip, and the same on the replacement.

The left axle shaft has a few stripped threads for the wheel bolts too, so my shopping list is long enough already.

RobertFB
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RobertFB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm

pic of the shaft wear. Kind of hard to see the scoring around the brake drum.

A local guy has a pair of final drive units in good shape for $125 complete, might go for it if the other side is as bad.
Attachments
IMG_4753.jpg

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:44 pm

A speedy-sleeve could work. I don't see why not. They work with the crankshaft oil seal and those are under a lot of high-rpm stress.

The wear from the brake drum on the other hand... hmm. An experianced welder could add material to the wear and grind it smooth. I did something similar to the shafts on my disk harrow.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the picture. If you think you can use the same shaft, you could sand where the seal and brake drum go with some fine sandpaper. Wipe it off with a clean rag when you are done.
I would recommend that you replace the oil seal behind the brake drum, visible in your picture. The seal in your pic looks like it is in backwards, I think the lip is pointed towards the brake drum. The seal lip has to face towards where the oil is, in the final drive unit. It was probably leaking because it is in backwards, they don't seal too well facing the wrong way.
To remove the shaft in your pic, you remove the small round cover with the 4 bolts holding it on, and slide the axle out through the hole. Then you can remove the seal with a hammer and punch.
Maybe you knew that already.
Here is a pic from TM Tractor showing a seal the right way. :)
Attachments
Cub casting 3.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”