Main Bearings On 49 Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Main Bearings On 49 Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Another question....
I plastigaged the mainsame today and got. 0015 clearance which is plenty good. Problem is the bearings look slightly pitted or gauled.

I figure you guys will say replace, but is it something to be that concerned about?

Thanks in advance!
WV Mike

Hillbilly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37055
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub
'59 TD9

Re: Main Bearings On 49 Cub

Postby Hillbilly » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Hard to say without seeing, but if I had concerns I'd chunk 'em and start with new ones. Ain't worth the risk in my book.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:55 pm

What do the journals look like?
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:18 pm

The journals look good except for the #3 [back one]. Has sort of a trace of a black ring around the middle.

Oil hole has a little rust in it, would that be normal from sitting or a sign in was starving? The #3 rear bear is the worst one by far.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:55 am

ctltmp wrote:Has sort of a trace of a black ring around the middle. Oil hole has a little rust in it, would that be normal from sitting or a sign in was starving?.
Rust or any type of debris in an oil gallery is not normal. Something to be concerned about.

Not sure what I would do. At a minimum I would rod and flush all of the engine's oil galleries. I might consider having the crankshaft polished and the engine block boiled.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:22 am

I've been in many many engines and see lots of scored bearings and journals but never the black mark or rust in an oil passage.

I wanted to do everything in frame. Honestly I've refurbished quite a few tractors but have never had the need to split onemail. A bit intimidating.

Right now I'm trying to cypher a way to flush the the oiling system with pan off. Anyone ever try it or have an idea?
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:45 am

Never tired this. There is a plug on the left side of the engine block, just in front of the oil pump, that leads to the oil galleries.

If you can get the plug out, use a commercial oil filling system to pump oil into the galleries. Once oil appears in the oil filter housing, rotate the engine 1/2 rotation and flush again.

I would leave the crankshaft in place with connecting rods removed.

You might come up with a home built system using 5 lbs compressed air over a quart or two of engine oil to force the oil through the oil galleries.

Still thinking on the topic, using 60 plus lbs air pressure from the air compressor would probably blow out debris and rust.

Or put a quart of engine oil into the oil galleries from the plug on the left side of the block. The apply 60 lbs plus compressed air on top of the oil to blow out the oil, rust, and debris.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:40 pm

That's kind of how I was thinking. I already had the plug removed and had shot some oil through out of a pump can just to get oil through things.

I have an air syphon gun that I use to use with kerosene to clean up engine blocks with pressure. I figure I can right something with that although I don't know if the gun will pick up anything as heavy as oil.
WV Mike