This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starting Issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AllenB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23024
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Starting Issue

Postby AllenB » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:02 pm

After 4 years of part time work I have my 51 running, only problem is I can't get it to start using the battery unless I've got it hooked up to the battery charger. I've tried replacing the battery, have tested the battery, cables, had the starter checked and not found any issues. The starter will turn the motor over a couple of times but not enough to get it to start. The tractor starts just fine with front hand crank, rarely taking more than 2 tries to get the tractor started. Most of the electrical system had to be replaced during the repair/rebuild process, but it is still 6V positive ground. The starter and generator are original as far as I can tell, but all the wiring and cut out had to be replaced. Since it does start this is to me a minor issue, but an issue.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starting Issue

Postby Puffie40 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:18 am

first place I would check is the contact surfaces on the starter switch. Those can erode and oxidize from use, and limit the current that the motor can use.

Return to “Farmall Cub”