This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6 Volt Starter parts diagram

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
56lowboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126

6 Volt Starter parts diagram

Postby 56lowboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:54 pm

I have a 56 Lowboy with a 6 volt system.
The starter and other parts have been worked on by someone who settled for "close enough".
Therefore I need a parts diagram or exploded view or anything of the starter that will show me all the bushings,insulators, washers, springs etc. that are required and the order they are installed in.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 6 Volt Starter parts diagram

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. Here is a page from the Cub parts book showing the 6V starter. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-10.jpg

56lowboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 56lowboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks, that helps.

I have tried the link to the manuals but keep getting an error page instead.

I seem to have all those parts.

Now I need a close-up of some kind, of the Commutator end cap.
Two of the posts where the brush holders mount have what looks like insulators or spacers and two do not.
That means the two opposite pairs ride about 7/32 of an inch offset from eachother on the commutator.

Someone has been in it before me and from what I have seen so far on this machine nothing is to be trusted.

The exterior band that covers the brushes appears to be a two piece. Is there an inner seal or gasket to it?
I found a similar cover on the generator but under neath the metal band it had been wrapped with electrical tape.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:50 am

Hi,
I can't find a close up pic of the commutator end in the manuals, maybe someone has a pic.
The band had a paper gasket like material stapled to the inside of the metal band originally. They got hard and broke sometimes.
Rudy's manuals above doesn't work lately. Here are the manuals at a temporary place. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... s.com/Cub/

56lowboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 56lowboy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks again.
I hunted all over and found some Ebay pictures of Delco starter end frames or brush plates as some call them.
After I figured out the pictures for a starter which rotated in the opposite direction everything seemed OK. I did add a washer made of stiff gasket maaterial to the shaft on the back end of the commutator. Delco starters I used to rebuild for Chevy pickups had one in that location made of thin plastic. I don't know if it was fro insulation or just a shield but it can't hurt I figure.

Now I am looking at another possible problem with the fan hub mounting. Since it is a new subject I guess I'll start a new post.

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:33 pm

FYI--the starter on a 56 cub is the same starter that is on a 56 chevy or a 55 chevy--- :tractor:
get er done; life is good

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:25 pm

CharlieK wrote:FYI--the starter on a 56 cub is the same starter that is on a 56 chevy or a 55 chevy--- :tractor:

They may share some parts. But since the Cub used a 6-volt starter with a saddle mount switch and the '55/'56 Chevy used a 12-volt solenoid operated starter, they certainly are not the same.

56lowboy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 56lowboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:51 pm

I put a piece of Duct tape on the back side of the brush cover band, trimmed off the excess and adjusted the clasp. Actually the band on the starter was shot so I made up a new one.

Thanks for the input on the 6V Cub/Chevy starter. I got what you meant.

Return to “Farmall Cub”