PO'd at the PO... Best Previous Owner story?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phydeaux
Zip Code: 80433

PO'd at the PO... Best Previous Owner story?

Postby Phydeaux » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:39 pm

It always amazes me what previous owners have done. I've had romex used for battery cables, zip-ties used for cotter pins, bailing twine everywhere, you name it.
On my lo boy, the washer for the fan spindle was put under the nut, so the nut wasn't held captive by the slot, and the fan hub was too far to the rear making the pulleys not line up. They just cinched it down & called it good.
The engine oil level was way too high. They didn't push the breather/dipstick down until is seated, just dropped it in 'til it stopped, and over-filled it.
There's a home-made trailer ball mount fast-hitch spike that when pushed on will release the fast-hitch latch, so they wrapped a seat belt around it to hold the latch down...
What fun stuff have you all found?

Hal

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PO'd at the PO... Best Previous Owner story?

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Phydeaux wrote:The engine oil level was way too high. They didn't push the breather/dipstick down until is seated, just dropped it in 'til it stopped, and over-filled it.

Have you checked the Touch Control fluid level?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Phydeaux

Postby Phydeaux » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Not yet, but it's on my list before I start it.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Hal, The reason Don asked that is that if the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump is leaking, hydraulic fluid will leak into the crankcase and show up as overfull on the dipstick. If the level is low in the TC block, that is probably what happened.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Phydeaux

Postby Phydeaux » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks Don & Bob, I had read that somewhere in the forum, but didn't think about it when I noticed the oil level.

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:42 am

We have a Belarus 820 that was on the farm when we bought it. a couple of years ago I fired it up from where we parked it to see just what kind of shape it was in, and see if it could at least make a backup tractor. I go to drain the transmission oil, and kept draining... and draining... and draining...

I got 90 litres of white goop about the thickness of instant custard from that transmission. The owners manual says it only holds about 40 litres. I figured someone dumped a bunch of Lucas or STP into the transmission because they thought it was noisy or something.

I also wound up bolting every single piece of sheet metal back on the tractor, as it was taken off and scattered all over the place.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:26 am

My 1957 the PO drilled and riveted the grill mesh to the sheet metal. He also when out of his way to poorly weld and substitute parts instead of in many cases for less time and money just get the correct part. ( A severely corroded battery box is welded to the platform)
20151115_154456.png
plumbing coupling instead of hose is just once example.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:54 am

Puffie40 wrote:We have a Belarus 820 that was on the farm when we bought it. a couple of years ago I fired it up from where we parked it to see just what kind of shape it was in, and see if it could at least make a backup tractor. I go to drain the transmission oil, and kept draining... and draining... and draining...

I got 90 litres of white goop about the thickness of instant custard from that transmission. The owners manual says it only holds about 40 litres. I figured someone dumped a bunch of Lucas or STP into the transmission because they thought it was noisy or something.

I also wound up bolting every single piece of sheet metal back on the tractor, as it was taken off and scattered all over the place.

That white goop was water mixed with the transmission oil. A very common situation in tractors. Water can leak into the transmission through the shifter and most common is condensation forming during weather cycles.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
FH Woods 42F, 54A blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH Lo-Boy disk, FH platform carrier
Circle of Safety

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Woods 59CF-1 Mower
Wood L306 Mower
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow

Postby Urbish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:05 am

I bought my Cub from a guy who advertised a long list of things he had repaired recently. When I gave it the first once-over, I started finding fasteners on the final drives that were only finger-tight or outright loose. In fact, it turned out to be about 1 in 3 that were loose. All areas of loose fasteners corresponded to the areas he had touched.

He had reassembled the left brake band with the spacer on the wrong side of the anchor pin, which left a little less than half of the band in contact with the drum. This led to premature failure of the brake band.

I realized after a couple of weeks of mowing that he had reinstalled one of the mower blades upside down too.

All in all it was easy to correct and he didn't do any permanent damage in the process.

My case was probably more of an example of someone with little mechanical knowledge working on it and less of a jury rigging aspect. I know that many people would prefer to fix a machine with something they already have on hand vs. buying the proper part due to cost or difficulty in procuring the new part; or due to the pride they feel in fixing something with scavenged materials.

There's something about that pioneer spirit that a lot of folks have. All you have to do is google, "There. I fixed it." and you will see numerous examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ther ... IQ_AUIBigB

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:That white goop was water mixed with the transmission oil. A very common situation in tractors. Water can leak into the transmission through the shifter and most common is condensation forming during weather cycles.

The milky oil I can expect, as the shifter boot was torn (since replaced)

What I didn't expect, though, was it was super thick like custard. The gear oil I've drained before was usually super thin, almost like hydraulic oil.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Not Po'd, but funny. My first cub was previously owned by a man who had Alzheimer. It had a hand lift, and the brakes didn't work, so the guy put the culitvator on and only one shoe which was turned backwards, and used that for the brakes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Reminds me of the gear lube that came out of my M when I changed it a year and a half ago. That stuff had a measurable "slump" to it like concrete.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:00 pm

I bought a cub, from a guy who came to Cecil's cubfest, with a lo-boy for sale. Said he had an F cub, also. Made a package deal, without seeing the other one. Front axle was sloppy, at the pivot pin. I suspected bushings. No, too easy. Someone had broken off the "horns" that the pin passed through, and bolt clamps tight. Replaced the pin, with a smaller one, and used a piece of plumbers pipe hanger, and a pair of bolts, tapped into the casting, at the front. Rear, the pin was drilled through, and a bolt tapped into the casting, to hold it in place. I was afraid top drive it off the trailer, and into the shop!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Topic line should read PO'd at the current owner.

Pulled the dip stick filler cap to find the engine low on oil. Installed about 1/2 quart of engine oil. Reseated the dipstick cap to find the engine over filled.

Had to replace the axle tube. Ordered the axle tube, brake bands, and differential oil seals. Replaced all. Worked the tractor for several days. Stepped on the draw bar and the right final moved. Someone forgot to tighten the bolts holding the final to axle tube.

Purchased a WC Allis parts tractor. Drained the transmission, thinking water. Nope, something close to gun grease. Tractor sat in hot Missouri sun for several months with a 5 gallon bucket under the transmission drain. Took close to 2 months before it stopped dripping.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:36 pm

One recently rebuilt:
Front axle broken/welded at bolster mount-crooked
Steering unit welded to bolster
Bolster welded
Chipped crank gear tooth
4 sleeves in engine
Crankshaft worn past rebuilding at thrust main
chipped diff ring gear
Radiator shot
On the up side: Almost new TB/clutch disc/pressure plate.
Had this been my first Cub, it would have been my last. As it stands it's still my last (#7, a gift to my brother)
Luckily, most replacements were spare parts.