PO'd at the PO... Best Previous Owner story?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PO'd at the PO... Best Previous Owner story?

Postby inairam » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

Not a cub but I wish I could have said this to the PO of my '57
Attachments
14079606_10153706206180843_6748825419111591361_n.jpg
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

CraigKennedy
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 28430

Postby CraigKennedy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:46 pm

On my 57 loboy, the p.o. drove it in to something, crcking the radiator resivor, best the grill, busted the bottom of the dash and broke the necking going into the head. Along with bending the tierods.
While i was wirebrushing everything i got to the gear shifter cover, i knotices 1-7/8 on the handle.
The plastic handle had rotted off and was replaced with a trailer hitch ball that had been brazed on

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:04 pm

inairam wrote:Not a cub but I wish I could have said this to the PO of my '57

They're building something like that on that offroad TV show on Spike.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:45 pm

On a 75 cub with a zenith carb the owner threadednthe fuel line between the intake and exhaust on the manifold.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Oh boy! Where to start? In the process of restoring my late father-in-law's 1957 Cub I found (and thankfully fixed) the following:

Both rear final drive castings had been cracked, welded, and were starting to crack again. What's more, one was the earlier style that takes the one-piece brake band. The opening for the brake rod had been ground down to try and make it work with the newer style toggle brakes, but the toggle didn't fit right and only half the brake band was contacting the brake drum. Solution: Two used finals from JP Tractor Salvage.

The left final was held on with only the three upper bolts so it "rocked" as the tractor moved forward and back. The result was that all but one of the bolt holes in the transmission case were wallowed pretty bad, along with the hole for the lower dowel pin. Solution: Helicoils in all the bad holes (including a home-made one in a hole too large to take the store bought coils.) I also drilled out the hole for the lower dowel pin, then turned a new "stepped" pin (larger diameter in the tranny side; regular diameter on the final side)

The 1st/reverse fork in the tranny had been broken, welded and broke again, with a piece laying in the bottom of the transmission. The 1st/reverse gear was likewise badly worn, resulting in some fine metallic "dust" amid the gunk in the bottom of the case. Solution: new fork and gears, plus all new bearings, seals, etc.

Front bolster cracked and welded between the steering gear and tool bar holder. Solution: Used bolster from JP.

What takes the prize, however, is the left rear wheel. When I first looked at it I was amazed to find the dish held to the rim by just one bolt! After cleaning off all the crud, however, I discovered the rim had been welded to the dish! Since I don't plan to adjust the track width I left it like that. It took a lot of detailed masking, however, to get the rim painted silver and the dish painted red. I also replaced the missing bolts, even though they are basically for show.

All of this is in addition to fixing the more "normal" wear and tear items, such as seals, gaskets, new front pulley and main seal, new rear main seal, etc. But the end result has justified the labor and cost - a family heirloom that another generation or two will get to enjoy.
Attachments
20161007_151122 (800x450).jpg