This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front wheel oil seal question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48357

Front wheel oil seal question

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 pm

How "critical" are the oil seals on the front wheel hubs? I could understand if the hubs were filled with oil, but bearing grease it pretty stiff and I can't imagine much if any working its way out the back of the hubs. I likewise understand the role of the felt washers in helping keep dirt out of the hubs/bearings, but I won't be using this machine for plowing or other field work; just to mow and push snow. The reason I ask is that new seals run $26.00 ea.; new wear rings for the hubs run $25.00; and new felt washers are $6.00, so I'd be looking at $110.00 or so to do both sides. It wouldn't break the bank, but I'd rather spend the money on other parts I need to finish my restoration. The seals and washers that are on there now are obviously worn, but still intact. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front wheel oil seal question

Postby tnestell » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:32 pm

My thought is if you did it right at this time it will probably last you the next 60 years.

Phydeaux
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80433

Re: Front wheel oil seal question

Postby Phydeaux » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:07 am

What about for keeping water out?

Return to “Farmall Cub”