This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand crank storage clips

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Hand crank storage clips

Postby clm2112 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Sorting something out that has bugged me for many years... storing the hand crank on the tractor. My grandfather's solution was a length of cheap dog chain wrapped around the seat post... ahem, the less said about that, the better.

I've seen some member photos that show a pair of clips on the left edge of the floorboards to hold the hand crank down. A few of the illustration photos in my 1955 operators manual show the clips, some of the photos the clips are not present.

On my 55 cub, it appears to have never had any clips installed. Were they omitted at some point in production? The hole in the floorboards, just in front and a little to the left of the battery box, is present so the crank will lay flush, but no trace of the clips ever being there. Were the original clips welded onto the floorboards or were they sandwiched between the floorboards and the transmission/torque tube castings?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hand crank storage clips

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 pm

They screwed on. TM has them

Stock# SE864
Price: $ 6.25 each

Quantity:

Item description: replacement starting crank clip, new, spring steel, made in the U.S.A., replaces 351013R1, comes bare metal , includes one (1) round head slotted machine screw.
Two (2) clips are required to attach the starting crank to the platform.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Interesting. I think I found the marks where they were supposed to be installed. There are two tiny dimples in the floorboards, about a 32nd inch deep. Nothing sticking out on the underside of the floorboard in that spot, so I don't think there is a sheared off screw there. I guess they just forgot to put them on. I didn't even take note of them when sanding down the steel for repainting, just look like spot-weld divits.

Anyone know the thread of the machine screws that go there? 10-32 perhaps, like the fan shroud screws in the radiator supports?

Just thinking it would be better to drill and tap them now, before installing the battery cable under the floor.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:27 pm

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi,
Here are pics from the 1955 Cub brochure showing the crank and one of the clips.
The screws are described at number 11 in the pic in Bill's post above.
All of them I've seen had the holes for the 2 screws, they were usually filled with dirt.
It would seem that in the 1950's, if you had the electrical system on a Cub, you didn't get the clips to hold the crank. Not totally sure, but the ones I have seen were that way.
They might not have given you a crank with the tractor either, not sure. :)
Attachments
Cub 2.jpg
Cub 3.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Even tractors without a crank/clips had holes in the platform. It would have been a production nuisance to use 2 different platforms. From what I have seen, many of the holes are bridged over with paint.

Here is the full explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63200&p=516485

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Never seen a crank stored like is in that picture. Seems like it would be in the way of the PTO lever. I have always seen them with the offset forward and under your feet :evil: . I take mine and snap it in the clips and rotate it around in front of the steering post. It lays nicely on the torque tube and isn't in my way.

I disagree about the crank storage. If my grandpa had used a length of cheap dog chain around the seat post to hold the crank on, my cub would have a length of cheap dog chain around the seat post to hold the crank on. Wouldn't bother me in the least if anyone made any comments about it, I could care less and I would tell them about grandpa. I doubt my grandpa would have gone to the extravagance of cheap dog chain though when there was used baler wire and later, baler twine, aplenty. :D The chain would have been used as a latch on a gate somewhere.

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:23 am

You might change your mind about the chain... after you had to pick the crank up out of the muddy field a few times. The chain is better off in the trash can. ;)

Problem solved... that went better than expected. Holes were there, just packed full of dirt,rust, and paint. Hit the center of the marks with a punch and the "plugs" popped out. Threaded the holes with a 10-32 tap and they are good to go when the clips show up.

Return to “Farmall Cub”