Need help and advice on governor...

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
J Hacky
Zip Code: 63385

Need help and advice on governor...

Postby J Hacky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 am

Hey guys! I made a big ole mistake...I was trying to fix the broken spring on my 1953 Cub and before ripping the governor out of her, I didn't mark a thing. I realized all of this once I was putting the darn thing back in. My grandpa was the one who always timed everything, but now it's on me. Any help or suggestions would be great! It is a 6 volt, distributor...not a mag. Thanks guys!!!
Joey Hack

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help and advice on governor...

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:41 pm

I assume your problem is that you have pulled the main part of the governor out (the part with the gear). Have you turned the engine (crankshaft) or the distributor since the governor was removed? If not, you may be able to short-cut the reassembly. Otherwise you heed to go through a longer process.

J Hacky

Postby J Hacky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:09 pm

It did get moved all around with me fighting to get that spring on. I then, to make matters worse, was turning the fan to get my fat hand back in there to get it back on... I just tried to start it and it's nothing. I'm worried I have this all jacked up now....ugh.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:48 pm

I did the same thing last winter. Believer or not is much easier to remove the hood and replace the spring than to try and fight the tight space. I did not think so until I was forced to do it.

Do you have a distributor or mag? Either way it may be easier to take that off.

Find Top dead center compression for 1 cylinder, but taking #1 sprat plug off (closest to the radiator) feel for compression and line up the timing mark on the fan pulley ( if two marks use the second one)

Then follow http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90014

If you have a mag http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44397

If you have a distributor the service manual http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.p ... ls&order=0
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Battery powered ignition system, magneto, or magneto converted to battery power?

If it a battery powered ignition system. Just install the governor with out concern about lining any thing up. Then set engine on TDC #1 cylinder. You can now reinstall the distributor and static time to correct the ignition timing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:51 pm

(I see another post while I was typing this. Posting anyway.)

You need to retime the whole thing from scratch. You can take the short-cut of leaving the governor gear wherever it is and compensating for it at the distributor. I don't have time right now for a fully detailed procedure. But here are the essentials:

Set the engine at TDC compression on #1 (pull #1 spark plug to find it).

Reinstall the governor with the timing marks aligned. You can get this by removing the battery ignition unit and installing it with the drive at 35 degrees off horizontal at 2/8 o'clock. Don't let the shaft fall out of the front of the distributer while it is removed (It is timed.). You can skip this step but the 2/8 o'clock stuff will be wrong.

Take the cap off the distributor and rotate the drive lug clockwise until the rotor is about at the number 1 position, and the turning resistance of the shaft increases slightly. Position should be mirror image of 2/8 o'clock. If you skipped the governor timing, pull the shaft out and reinstall to match the governor positon. Install the distributor in this position.

Retime the ignition.

J Hacky

Postby J Hacky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks guys! It is a battery powered distributor. It was my dads and hasn't been started in 2 years. Do you all think I should replace the points in it too? I mean, I'm going to have to take the distributor off anyway, right? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm new to all this. Gramps use to help me out with all this...

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Depends on the condition of the points. If they are just oxidized from sitting they can be cleaned. If they are pitted and do not mate evenly consider replacing them. In any case, if you file the points, best to get a points file at the parts store. Sandpaper/emery board is not the best choice and is not recommended in the IH manual since it leaves a residue. Lots of people do it and say they never have problems, just citing what the manual says. BTW, points gap for battery distributor is .020, and for a mag even with an external coil is .013 setting. Take a look at the Service Manual GSS 1012, it will tell you all you need to know about the magneto and battery distributor ignition systems: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/downloa ... -27-55.pdf Good Luck, Stan

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:12 pm

J Hacky wrote:. . . Do you all think I should replace the points in it too? . . .

Do you have spark now? If so, leave it alone until you have the tractor running. Right now you have one reason it won't run. You could end up with two.

JohnMihevic
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:56 am

inairam wrote: . . . If you have a mag viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44397 . . .

I just timed my '48 Cub magneto using this post and it was very helpful. I tried to post a comment on the procedure, but the post was "Locked". My comment was on step # 9: Check your work by walking back to the left side of the tractor and cranking the engine with your crank through one full revolution. (timing mark back in line with the pointer). The mag should snap JUST as the timing mark comes in line with the pointer. Look at your mag again. (the cap is still off) The rotor should be pointing to your #1 tower location chalk mark.

When I did this "one full revolution", the rotor was pointing at the bottom, firing cylinder #4. I had to go one more revolution to get the rotor "pointing to your #1 tower location chalk mark" as indicated in step #9. Which is right? Appreciate any comments.

John M.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 pm

John,
Step 3 gets the engine set at TDC compression stroke on cylinder 1.
Step 7 turns the engine one full revolution to TDC on cylinder 4 and should turn the rotor 1/2 revolution to point at #4.
Step 9 turns the engine one more revolution back to TDC on cylinder 1 and should turn the rotor another 1/2 revolution back to #1.

JohnMihevic
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Jim,
That clears it all up for me. Step 7 is TDC on cylinder #4. That's a good procedure. I knew my governor gearing was O.K. My mistake was going in at Step 6 with the pointer and timing mark at TDC on #1.
Thanks,
John M.

J Hacky

Postby J Hacky » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Alright guys....I put everything back together, pretty sure I have the timing correct now. Went to start her up and I got the LOUDEST backfire out of the exhaust I have ever heard!!! I'm sure something in the timing is off. What in gods name could I have done wrong now? And ideas would be great....getting very discouraged with myself and now wish I wouldn't have tried to "fix" it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:32 pm

J Hacky wrote:pretty sure I have the timing correct now. Went to start her up and I got the LOUDEST backfire out of the exhaust I have ever heard!!! I'm sure something in the timing is off.
Yup, ignition timing is off. Probably off 180 degrees.

Finger in #1 spark lug hole. Check for compression. Find compression, rotate engine to second mark on pulley. Then check to see where the rotor is pointing to. Correct the distributor rotation/ignition timing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

J Hacky

Postby J Hacky » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Ok...so, just to clarify, I have the roter on the wrong way? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I don't know much about distributors very well at all. Re pull the # 1 plug, crank till I feel compression again, stop the pulley on the mark, reposition the rotar so it's at 2 and 8. Right?