This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help and advice on governor...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help and advice on governor...

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:33 am

J Hacky wrote:Ok...so, just to clarify, I have the roter on the wrong way? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I don't know much about distributors very well at all. Re pull the # 1 plug, crank till I feel compression again, stop the pulley on the mark, reposition the rotar so it's at 2 and 8. Right?

If the rotor is installed correctly it will only fit one way. Make sure the flat side on the dist shaft fits correctly into the recess of the rotor. When the engine is at TDC on #1 piston compression stroke, the rotor will be aligned with the wire that goes to #1 plug. If you can't fit the dist cap on with the rotor in this position, you are still out of time. You will have to move the WIRE to the dist cap tower so it aligns with #1 plug/rotor position or RETIME the distributor.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

J Hacky
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63385

Postby J Hacky » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:42 pm

All right guys, I got her running!!!! I want to thank all of you for your great advice...I was getting frustrated as hell, but she's going and the timing is dead on. Even the neighbors heard her start and came over to see. It hasn't been started in four years and started right up like it was used for work yesterday. Anyone going to the Fredericktown Cubfest, I'm buying you all several rounds of beer! Again, thanks guys and it's nice that I'm new on here and everyone responded quickly with helpful advice.
Joey H

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi,
I would check the timing with a timing light so you know it is right. The engine won't have full power if the timing is off some. If you have a 12 volt timing light, hook it up to a 12 volt battery so it is bright.
The timing marks are on the left front of the engine, you probably know. :)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:45 am

J Hacky wrote:All right guys, I got her running!!!! I want to thank all of you for your great advice...I was getting frustrated as hell, but she's going and the timing is dead on. Even the neighbors heard her start and came over to see. It hasn't been started in four years and started right up like it was used for work yesterday. Anyone going to the Fredericktown Cubfest, I'm buying you all several rounds of beer! Again, thanks guys and it's nice that I'm new on here and everyone responded quickly with helpful advice.
Joey H

That might get expensive, Barnyard will be there! :beer: :surrender:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety