Now, for the front tires...

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54
Circle of Safety: Y

Now, for the front tires...

Postby Ben B » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Well, since I'm on the subject of tires, I was looking at the front ones as well. And, they are also way past their prime. While they still hold air, they are extremely dry rotted, and the right one is worn pretty much slick. I think it is an original tire to the tractor. It is a Goodyear. The left tire is a Uniroyal, which has some tread left but is bad dry rotted.

I do have a question though. Is it necessary to replace the front wheels while I'm at it? I have read where several folks replace their wheels when they get new tires. If that's the case, I can buy the wheels and tires mounted on them from Hamilton Bob's.

Which is better? Using the existing wheels or getting new ones?
Circle of Safety

Randy57
Zip Code: 38379

Re: Now, for the front tires...

Postby Randy57 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:21 pm

I would use the original wheels unless they are rusty beyond repair.Check around the valve stem as this is usually the worst place for a problem.If there is a problem it can be repared but you would need a welder and some fabrication. Its possible there is some information on this in the how to section of this forum.some of the vets of the forum will probably tell you as I am new here and really don't know my way around ,which is nothing new.LOL Good luck Also be sure to wire brush,clean any rust and paint the inside of the wheels to keep damage from the inner tubes.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Just my opinion, but if the rims (wheels) are serviceable I would reuse them. I have recovered quite a few that had rust damage, especially around the point where the valve stem fits through the rim. There are several ways to do this depending on the extent of the rust damage. Minor rust damage can be reinforced with several layers of fiberglass cloth and resin after cleaning an using a rust kill solution on the area, then install a plastic bushing for the smaller tube valve stem in the new hole. If the rust area is more extensive the existing damaged area can be treated to kill the rust, fitted with a sheet metal patch on the inside and overlaid with several layers of FG cloth and resin to close the hole completely. If it is a really bad area, move to another location on the rim and drill a hole for the valve stem at a solid place on the rim. A couple of layers of FG cloth and resin on the outside finished off with a Dremel tool and sanding drum dresses it up quite nicely for painting. The key to getting a good looking repair is cleaning and arresting the rust with a rust kill solution like OSPHO or similar product. The process is time consuming but relatively inexpensive, a quart of resin and FG cloth kit costs about $20 and will fix quite a few rusty rims.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Front rims tend to rust where exposed to weather, I don't think I've read of anyone having liquid filled front tires. You probably won't find the same situation as you did with the rear rims. And if you do, the fronts are much cheaper.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:13 pm

99+% of the time the front rims only have cosmetic damage. I would reuse the rims. Rim dings, cuts, rough edges can be smoothed or hammered out. Any pits on the inside of the rim can be cleaned and filled with epoxy.

Purchase new tubes with the tires.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:12 pm

When I put new tubes and a set of used front tires on my 1968 Lo-Boy the rims were in really good shape, however, I was just shocked at how good they were on the inside.
They looked like they just left the factory floor, not a speck of rust or dirt on the inside. I cleaned them up on the outside and painted them with a rattle can of paint from TSC. A word of caution, the front tubes are easily pinched between the wheel and the tire. I had a regular tire place do mine, and it took a total of 4 mounts to get 2 keepers.
Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54

Postby Ben B » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you for all the replies folks! With the repair techniques Stan mentioned, I believe I may be able to fix all my wheels. My front wheels look just fine on the outside. They don't have any rust on them that is visible.

I'll give them a chance. Thanks everyone!
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Ben, I'm adding a couple of pictures, the rims shown (before and after) are from a '76 Longstripe that had holes at the valve stem about the size of a golf ball. I fitted a piece of sheet metal ductwork to cover the hole from the inside, then FG/resin layers inside and out, then redrilled the hole and inserted the bushing purchased from a tire dealer.
rim orig.JPG
rims2.JPG
The bottom of the grill on the same tractor was rotted away as you can see in the first picture.
grill6.JPG
FG/resin and a piece of florist's styrofoam cut to the shape of the corner and covered with a plastic shopping bag to keep the FG/resin from sticking yielded this result:
grill8.JPG
grill9.JPG
If you need any more info send me a PM. Stan

knightentc
Zip Code: 39553
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub
[url=http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=87548]1953 Farmall Cub Restoration[/URL]

Postby knightentc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:43 pm

I am impressed with your repair job Stan. You did a really good job!

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks. For anyone interested, the plastic bushing for the front rim should be available at a full service tire shop and looks like this:
wheel bushing.JPG

If the rim has only minor rust damage, it is likely that cleaning, rust kill, and 3 or 4 layers of FG cloth/resin will take care of the hole damage and the bushing will dress it up to fit the new stye tube valve stem. Stan

regwal
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:19 am

I made a decent repair using a flat washer shaped to fit the contour of the rim. I cleaned all good then welded the washer in place. After grinding weld down almost even I got creative with JP Weld. After smoothing all down nicely I had a good repair and one that wouldn't damage a tube. I used JP Weld on the outside too and smoothed that with a dremel tool . You cannot see any signs of repair after painting (outside). This was a cheap repair and not messy, also quick once having everything needed ready to use. I like to use JP Weld for small jobs because there is very little waste and you always get a proper mix.

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54

Postby Ben B » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:24 pm

I thank you all for the advice. The front rims are in good shape, and the oversized rear 8 in wheels are being replaced with the correct size. They are all at my local tire guy's place. The rear tires are done, and the front ones are being replaced tomorrow. I'm finally getting a set of new tires for the cub! It's been a long time coming. I can't wait to see it with new tires on it. It's been wearing the same old rag tag tires for as long as I've had it.
Circle of Safety