Complete Wiring Harness Deteriorated

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chuggers
Zip Code: 53089

Complete Wiring Harness Deteriorated

Postby Chuggers » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 pm

My Cub is a 1950 (Tractor Serial# 117080, Engine Serial# FCUBM118986). Can I hot wire a small 6V battery to coil/distributor to get Cub to fire (it has a hand crank)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Complete Wiring Harness Deteriorated

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 pm

1950 Cub might have a magneto, if so you don't need a battery if it is working properly. Does it look like this?
magneto_plug wires1.jpg
Or like this:
dist maint.jpg
If yours is like the first picture of a magneto it might also have been modified to install an external coil. If that's the case, you will need a battery just like the second picture of the distributor. Once yours is positively identified then your question can be answered. Stan

Chuggers

Postby Chuggers » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:27 am

Hello Stan,
There is no magneto. It has a distributor.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 am

Chuggers wrote:Can I hot wire a small 6V battery to coil/distributor to get Cub to fire (it has a hand crank)?
Yes.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bunch of questions.

History of the tractor?
Has the tractor been recently started and does it have oil pressure? Oil pumped primed?
Does the generator and regulator work? Unknown. You can have them tested.

If the generator/regulator function, you can rewire the tractor. However, if the generator/regulator do not work - you need to made a decision. It is usually cheaper to convert the tractor from 6 volt to a 12 volt electrical system than to repair the 6 volt system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Chuggers

Postby Chuggers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello Eugene,

It looks like the Wiring Harness is not as deteriorated as I originally thought. It has been recently started, has oil pressure, oil pumped primed and the generator/regulator work. Thanks for the info on converting to 12 volt versus repairing 6 volt.

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54

Postby Ben B » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:20 pm

My 1950 Cub, is a couple of months older than yours. It had a hard life before it came to live out here at what we call the Gravel. It had been rolled over, and rather violently from what I can tell. It was repaired but several castings were brazed back together and the hood was repaired. The seat was bent back out, and a final drive and the entire steering post had been replaced. It must have happened when the cub was fairly new. No one would have went to the trouble for an older tractor...

That said, when I first got the cub, my wiring was deteriorated, but still functional, or so I thought. I noticed that the charging lead had been disconnected, so I had reconnected it. I then fired it up and the wiring harness started smoking and was shorting out against the hood! I soon afterward removed the entire harness, got a wiring diagram and made a new harness.

I'm just saying, watch that old wiring. Don't let it fool you like mine did. If it hadn't been for my son yelling at me, it could have caught my garage on fire.
Circle of Safety