This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

no start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LarryK
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48876

no start

Postby LarryK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:29 pm

I have an early model Farmall Cub with magneto ignition that hasn't been run in 7 years. After thoroughly cleaning the gas tank & carburetor, new plugs, setting valve lash, & points gap; I am unable to get it to start. I've checked compression (all within 90-110), get good plug spark, timed magneto per your directions on other posts but all I get is a puff of smoke (once or twice) then nothing. I've tried adjusting the magneto position (+ and -) with no luck. I also adjusted the IH carb float using your gage for 1 3/8" closed & 1/58" open. I also checked the distributor pointer position to #1 plug at TDC (shifted the timing +1 tooth and - 1 tooth but made no difference. What would you suggest next, maybe shoot some starter fluid into the carburetor to see if it is a carb problem?

thanks for the suggestions which I will try, although when I hand cranked it over to adjust valve lash I didn't detect any valves sticking. The cub has been continuously stored inside a secure pole barn. How critical is the magneto timing? Should it be exactly a TDC when you hear the magneto click?
Last edited by LarryK on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: no start

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Couple of things to try. Add some lube into the cylinders and crank the engine over to get some if it into the valves. 7 years is a long time to sit and not have sticky valves. You might try pull starting to see if the fuel is getting up into the cylinders, if it does not start by pulling and the plugs seem wet you have an ignition problem not fuel problem. Just don't pull from the front axle because you might break something. Connect your towrope and pull from the rear by running it under the tractor/front axle. I had one like this and was never able to start it the first time until I pull-started it. Afterwards it starts with the starter. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Be sure to prime the oil pump before attempting a start. Do a search for the procedure.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Do you hear the magneto's impulse coupling click when cranking over the engine?

Timing light to see if magneto is firing #1 cylinder at TDC.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DMLinton
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby DMLinton » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 am

A lesson I Iearned about Farmalls a few years ago, especially ones that might have worn piston rings, is that once they are adjusted such that they should run, make certain beyond any shadow of a doubt that gas is getting to the cylinders. Gas running out the bottom of the carburetor is not a reliable indicator of flooding.

I have a 1940 Farmall A that has no electrics beyond what is between the mag and the spark plugs - no starter, no battery, no generator. Starting is by crank only. It was pure misery to get it started cold or even lukewarm. Spent the better part of a day trying to get it started once when finally pulled the spark plugs - bone dry. Even though there seemed to be gas everywhere, including on the ground from carburetor drainage, none was getting to the cylinders. Poured a bit gas in each cylinder, put the plugs back in, gave the crank a 1/4 spin and it started immediately. Now I grab a spark plug wrench and squirt bottle of gas when when I want to start it.

Brought a second 1949 Cub home last weekend. Same deal. Pull a spark plug and squirt some gas in before hand cranking and it starts just fine.

Your problem may not be fuel related but I have learned to ensure that gas is getting to the cylinders on any of my Farmalls that refuse to start - and the only way to do that is to put some in there myself.

One other thing to double check is that the idle tube is not fouled. My first Cub (electric start) was always a charm to start until one day it seemed it would not even fire. Turned out that the idle tube was fouled. It has a tiny, tiny orifice so it doesn't take much.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Starting fluid can be too "hot",especially when repeated attempts to start occur.
As previously mentioned use a little gas. Safely.
Cheaper and milder on pistons.

LarryK
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48876

Postby LarryK » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:39 pm

thanks for all of the suggestions. I did recheck the magneto timing; got is as close to TDC as possible and rechecked the sparkplug wires which I found (2) of them was switched which meant it was trying to start as a 2 cylinder engine. After correcting that it started & ran quite well. Now I am moving on to fix coolant leaks & checking the hydraulic lift. I have so many implements with this tractor (sickle bar mower, cultivator spades, plow, front grader blade, & belly mower without pulley attachment) so a lot of work yet. Again thanks for the help on getting her to run!

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:21 pm

A great gain ,you got it runnin!
Congrats , and onward.

Return to “Farmall Cub”