Stuck Valve

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Stuck Valve

Postby The Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:49 am

Well I posted last week that my 1972 Cub was running like a top after a total engine rebuild, new everything and after sitting around for about 6 weeks without starting she was running very poorly and sounded like on only 3 cylinders.
I followed your great advice and checked the spark to all cylinders and plugs and the fire was good, great spark to all 4. Next I pulled the valve cover, btw kinda touch to remove without taking the TC Hyd lines down, but I managed to get cover off. Yes, you guessed it the first valve closest to the driver seat was stuck in the up /open position. That was half bad, I managed to unstick the valve and fired her up, all good and back to purring like a kitten. However, on closer inspection I noticed what looks like rust on the valve tappet adjusting bolt and it looks like I'm seeing signs of water. That certainly explains the stuck valve.

I'm guessing that I probably have a crack in a water jacket, but don't really know where to go from here.

Have any of you ever experienced something like this, and do you have any suggestions on the next best step to take with a situation like this?

Thanks again!

The Riot

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stuck Valve

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:15 am

Might be a head gasket leaking coolant, or a head bolt, leaking. Try to re-torque the head first. The head needs to be tightened down, after a little use, after a rebuild.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Postby ctltmp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am

You used sealant on the head bolts correct?
WV Mike

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:03 pm

No, sealant on the bolts. I used gasket sealant on several of the gaskets, but don't remember what I used on the head gasket if anything, but for sure no sealant on the actual bolts.

What are you recommending / suggesting as bolt sealant?

Thanks,
The Riot

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Remove the head bolts one at a time and apply a PTFE sealant on the threads and retorque it before removing another one. Repeat until all have been sealed. Note, the head bolts extend into the water area of the block so the water will seep up the threads. If you did not use any sealer on the head gasket, it might be just as well to start over. You might even be able to re-use the same gasket, your choice.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Postby ctltmp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:57 pm

I use permatex thread sealant. Most parts stores carry it. Do as advise in previous post. One bolt at a time. Some of those bolts go into water passages. I use copper spray on my head gaskets.

Hope this helps.
WV Mike

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks, Gents. I'm thinking back over my engine overhaul and reassemble and pretty sure I used the Permatex Copper Sealant in the spray can when I put the head back on.
I believe I will try pulling the bolts one at the time and sealing the thread and re-torqueing.

I had no clue that the bolt holes extended into the water channels. If this is the problem, that the threads are leaking, this is much better news since I was thinking I definitely had a crack in the block. I'm thinking this is probably what's going on since I'm seeing the water in only that one small area.

thanks again,
The Riot

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Drain coolant out of the radiator to lower the coolant level or you will have a fountain when you remove the first head bolt.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks for that pointer, Bill, I'm sure happy to know that little gem of info. Are you speaking from experience ?
I'm guessing that whatever sealant I use will require that all mating parts, the bolts and the female threads, will need to be nice and dry.

I'll keep everybody posted on my progress.

Thanks again to all.

The Riot

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:26 am

No personal experience but experience of others. :)

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:45 am

If you only have a small amount of moisture, it could be condensation. This is particularly true if the last time you ran it you didn't run it enough to get it thoroughly warmed up. If you didn't seal the head bolts, you need to go ahead and do that anyway.

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:14 pm

I believe I'm going to pull the head to make sure that I have a good gasket and sealant and to take a good look at the valve and seat to make sure that I don't have any corrosion or pitting. Once I get the valve checked out I will put the head back on and put sealant on the bolt threads.
Hopefully this corrects the problem and stops the water from getting to the valve stem and guide area.

Thank you, thank you, very much for all of your get tips and suggestions. Your willingness to share your knowledge is truly remarkable.

regards,
The Riot