This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Proper Magneto Oil Seal Depth

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Proper Magneto Oil Seal Depth

Postby ctltmp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 am

Well, here we go again. Pulled the governor last night to move it a tooth and sure enough the spring in the seal came along with it. Ordered new seal from H Bob's, it was the original IH part number.

Now the question..........The books says install at 23/32, but I've read a lot here about having to install deeper at 27/32. Anyone know for the original IH part number seal which depth will be correct? Doesn't sound like a sure thing so I will be advised from you guys.

Lesson learned for me. If I had to do over I'd have not done a frame in rebuild. Every time you turn around it's something else. Frame in worked fine for me in the past, but this one has been a fight every step of the way.
WV Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Proper Magneto Oil Seal Depth

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm

The original seal should be set at the original 23/32 depth. Most new seals are thinner and an extra 1/8 should be OK. The original positon puts the sealing lip close to the notches for the magneto drive lugs. After the seal and governor are in place, it is a good idea to make sure the lip isn't running on the notches. If it is, put the seal enough deeper to get it off the notches.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: Proper Magneto Oil Seal Depth

Postby ctltmp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks Jim. I'll compare the new seal to the old and go from there.

Looking like it might be a while before that goes in now. The river got a lot deeper and I'm treading water.........
WV Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”