crank pulley mark

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bustntruckers
Zip Code: 21904

crank pulley mark

Postby Bustntruckers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:24 am

im getting ready to pull my governor out & replace it another one..i have readl all the articles about the procedure here,,all the ones i read show 2 marks on pulley...one im replacing is a 1949 & i have a 51 that only has 1 mark also,,have a 154 lo boy that has 2...why only one mark???...have cleaned the pulley good & it has no other mark..i assume you time using a light on that one mark,tdc??...when was the change to 2 marks..could i replace the pulley with one that has 2 marks or let well enough alone & keep it as one??...thanks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: crank pulley mark

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm

The pulleys with one mark came on tractors originally equipped with a magneto, which only needed one mark since the timing was only set at TDC. Distributors use 2 marks on the pulley, both TDC and Before TDC.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi,
The Cubs had the one timing mark for several years at the beginning. I think they changed to 2 marks in the mid 1950's.
I don't know if you have a magneto or Battery Ignition unit, if it's Battery Ignition, time it to the TDC mark at low idle speed, using a timing light, like they say in the Cub Service Manual.
John knows how to time a magneto.
I don't have a magneto. I think you can check the magneto timing with a timing light too, not sure if they do though.
I wouldn't replace the pulley, it's lots of work. Just look at the pic in the service manual, and see how far the mark is from the TDC mark. Your 154 might be the same, if it is, you could measure the distance between the 2 marks, and draw a mark on the 1 mark pulley with a tiny paint brush, and white paint. Just an idea. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
I don't know if you have a magneto or Battery Ignition unit, if it's Battery Ignition, time it to the TDC mark at low idle speed, using a timing light, like they say in the Cub Service Manual.
.........../

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg
To use a timing light on a pulley with a single mark it needs to be one with an adjustable timing control.

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:11 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The pulleys with one mark came on tractors originally equipped with a magneto, which only needed one mark since the timing was only set at TDC. Distributors use 2 marks on the pulley, both TDC and Before TDC.

I have a 51 Cub with a single mark, and I might be naive, but I think mine came with battery ignition.

Edit: Not saying you are wrong, John, you certainly know more than I. Just thinking out loud.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 pm

You can static time battery ignition using the TDC mark. If you want to check the advance, stick a timing light on it and see where the TDC mark moves to at high idle. It should move close to 3/4 inch.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 pm

LRiddle wrote:
I have a 51 Cub with a single mark, and I might be naive, but I think mine came with battery ignition.

You can have battery ignition with a magneto. In that case the battery only powers the starter (and lights).

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:33 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:
LRiddle wrote:

You can have battery ignition with a magneto. In that case the battery only powers the starter (and lights).

Bob

Thanks Bob. I do have a generator, but i suppose that could have been put on long after the cub was built. I'll stop hichjacking OPs post now.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:35 am

LRiddle wrote:

Edit: Not saying you are wrong, John, you certainly know more than I. Just thinking out loud.
Jim Becker or some of the other historians can probably provide better information than is in my memory, but I think magnetos were standard until the middle 50s. Also, don't overlook the possibility someone could have broken the original crank pulley removing it, and installed an older one. Dealer may have also replaced magneto with distributor before delivering to original customer. On tractors 65 years old it is hard to know how they were originally equipped unless you have the delivery paper work.

Jim Becker wrote:You can static time battery ignition using the TDC mark. If you want to check the advance, stick a timing light on it and see where the TDC mark moves to at high idle. It should move close to 3/4 inch.
I had measured it at 21/32 with my pocket tape measure a few years ago, but as I remember one of the members worked it out mathematically at 43/64.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:17 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:. . . I think magnetos were standard until the middle 50s. . . .

Something around there. However, it became available in mid 1950. After that, the option of battery ignition was included on virtually every tractor built.

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:You can static time battery ignition using the TDC mark. If you want to check the advance, stick a timing light on it and see where the TDC mark moves to at high idle. It should move close to 3/4 inch.
I had measured it at 21/32 with my pocket tape measure a few years ago, but as I remember one of the members worked it out mathematically at 43/64.

Since all you are trying to do at that point is verify the advance works, a precise measurement isn't critical. A stuck advance will probably stick at near zero advance. An incorrect distributor shaft will either limit the advance to near zero or allow it to go way beyond (like more than an inch).