The Farmall Cub: Best Excuse Ever To Buy Tools

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

The Farmall Cub: Best Excuse Ever To Buy Tools

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 am

I've always had a fairly good assortment of hand and power tools, but haven't previously done a lot of automotive-related work. So when I inherited my late father-in-law's 1957 Cub I suddenly realized I finally had the opportunity (and excuse) to not only learn some new skills (with a lot of help from this forum!), but buy a whole bunch of tools and equipment I've been lusting after for years without having to work too hard justifying the expense to my better half. After all, it was her dad's tractor, which she had often ridden on as kid, so she was as excited as I was to see it fixed and running. It also helped that her father had MacGyvered-up pretty much every part and system, meaning I would need to do a ground-up restoration. So over the past year I've managed to acquire (a) a 2-ton shop crane ("You wouldn't want that engine to fall on me, would you?"); (b) a 20-ton shop press ("Look at that bearing! That has to come off and I need a press to do it right!"); and (c) a sandblasting cabinet ("I can't use my old blaster outside when it's snowing. You want me to catch my death?") - not to mention a whole assortment of bearing splitters, taps, dies, seal pullers, impact sockets, slide hammers, compression tester, etc. I even got a used toaster oven at the Salvation Army store to heat my new front pulley before installing, as well as an infrared thermometer to make sure it was at just the right temp. Simply put, "I need it to fix your Dad's tractor" has become a magical phrase that justifies almost any expense. Of course, it also helps that I've been able to use some of those same tools to do some other jobs around the house, as well as do the grocery shopping on my way home from Harbor Freight!

Anyway, I'd be curious to know what sorts of tools and equipment others have found it necessary or helpful to purchase in the course of restoring or maintaining their Cubs. I'm sure many already had fairly well-equipped shops, but there must be others like me who had never undertaken a project like this before and had to either buy or borrow all sorts of "specialized" stuff. It might make a helpful list for other "newbies" to ponder and make plans to acquire as they start their own projects.

Rabbit Holler Flash
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The Farmall Cub: Best Excuse Ever To Buy Tools

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:47 pm

All I ever use to fix a cub is a SCRIVET. MInes over 50 years old n still fixes every Cub problem I have. :D

mountain4don
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby mountain4don » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 pm

I use a ball-peen hammer, cold chisel and a pair of vise-grip plyers an awful lot. Oh,yes, a pair of tire irons too.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:36 pm

EugeneFromMichigan wrote:Of course, it also helps that I've been able to use some of those same tools to do some other jobs around the house, as well as do the grocery shopping on my way home from Harbor Freight!
I shop at Harbor Freight for multi-meters and flash lights. Most of their tools are "junk", my opinion. Again my opinion, purchase big named quality tools. Some have a life time warranty.

I'd be curious to know what sorts of tools and equipment others have found it necessary or helpful to purchase in the course of restoring or maintaining their Cubs.
Not a good, definite answer. I wouldn't purchase any tools/equipment until necessary.

One of the problems I have is that I've been working on engines for 60 or more years. My father was an Oliver mechanic. After my parent died, my siblings and I cleaned out my folks garage. I hauled off 2 pickup loads of mechanics tools and we put another pickup load of chemicals, grease, paint, solvents, etc., in a dumpster.
I have an excuse. CRS.

smallfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45504

Postby smallfarm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:15 pm

I hope "She who must be obeyed" can't access your post -- can she?!?!?!!?

The well(s) may dry up ;-)
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 pm

(1) Eugene: I've found Harbor Freight to be like that Clint Eastwood movie - the good, the (not so) bad and the ugly. If an item has less than 5 moving parts then chances are it's serviceable, such as my press, crane and blasting cabinet. Their sockets and similar hand tools are so-so, but if I need some odd gizmo I don't already have, and will likely only use a few times, I'll take a flyer. When it comes to power tools, however, I generally stay away. I bought a cordless Dremel-like unit one time that lasted all of a day before the transformer for the charger went out. On the other hand I still had all the brushes, burrs and grinding stones that came with the set, so I called it a "wash."

(2) Smallfarm: "She who must be obeyed" doesn't even know about this forum, much less visit it, but even if she did I suspect she'd just laugh. Comes with being married 36 years I guess, but she's pretty tolerant about these things. For example, we've got something of a running joke whenever I come in from working on the Cub. As I mentioned, her father did a lot of "unorthodox" repairs and alterations over the years, which I'll often comment on. So now when I come in she'll look up from her book and say "Well, what did Daddy mess up this time?" Bottom line: Looks like I'll be able to keep both the tractor and the wife!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Having owned and operated a number of business, tools can be a deduction on the income tax forms. Even the IT/computer repair guy can justify a hammer. Sledge hammer or cement mixer might be beyond believable.

Any way, a tax write off might be a way to justify the purchase to the spouse.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Postby ctltmp » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Eugene good point about the write offs. I have my regular job and a small business. What I purchase during the year makes a difference come tax time.

Harbor freight I have mixed feelings about. I've had things that were okay and things that were down right unusable. Bought a drill press one time that had so much slop in it I had to return it. Bought a craftsman and it's true as can be.
WV Mike

regwal
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:51 am

HF tools are "hit and miss" usually but if needing something in a hurry they are a good place to shop. If a tool is going to be used a lot right away, then they are a good bet also because when it fails just take go back for a replacement. I personally like Craftsman because once I rebuilt a airplane and on Friday I would gather up most screw drivers (small) and stop by Sears going home for replacements, another good excuse for buying tools when explaining to wife. A rule for me is to only buy a tool when needed and even then explore the possibility of loaners from auto parts stores.

tinnerjohn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:18 am

I like to remind my wife that she'll have a heck of an auction someday. She tells me my sons and grandsons will have a heck of an argument! John

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Bottom line.....buying a new tool regardless of where,how big or how small is a joyous occasion.
WV Mike

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 pm

A rusted out dump trailer is a close second as an excuse to buy a new welder.

Of course I bought the welder two weeks before I even knew about the dump trailer.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 am

Do you think we can get away with purchasing this https://youtu.be/Q8q3DZB_l6M ? Laser Cleaning: HIGH POWER 1000W!

We should see if we can get them to come to a Cubfest for a demo.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!