timing battery ignition

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mountain4don
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

timing battery ignition

Postby mountain4don » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:13 pm

I am in the process of replacing the radiator on my 1959 International Cub Lo-Boy and have the tank/engine cover removed from the tractor. So I thought it would be a good time to do a tune-up also. So I replaced the spark plugs after checking their gap, and now I am replacing the points/condenser/rotor and cap on the battery ignition system. I removed the old parts and oiled the center of the cam post felt, and put a little high temp grease on the cam lobes and point pivot post and bolted the one point side back in and slipped the other side on the post and hooked the spring and condenser leads back under the nut. Using the crank I rotated the engine so the cam lobe was under the point rubbing block, and set the other point to 0.020" with the feeler gauge that came with the point kit from IH. And snugged down the screw and checked them again. So now that I have all of these parts back in, what is the best way to time a Cub? I know there are two timing marks on the pulley on front since I used the Top Dead Center mark to adjust the valves. And I know there is a clamp bolt on the side of the distributor to allow for rotation of the distributor for timing. But what is the procedure and what tools do I need to get it set right? :lost:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: timing battery ignition

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Doing the work you described will not change the timing if reassembled correctly. If the Cub was running before you began it should start and run when you complete the work. You could check the timing with a timing light and make any minor adjustments based on the results.

mountain4don
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby mountain4don » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:20 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Doing the work you described will not change the timing if reassembled correctly. If the Cub was running before you began it should start and run when you complete the work. You could check the timing with a timing light and make any minor adjustments based on the results.

I have one of those antique timing lights that run off a 12 volt battery. And this Cub is only 6 volts. But I guess I could park a car close to run off of that? And which timing mark on the pulley does it get set to? Different engine speeds at different marks?
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:36 pm

A 12 volt battery will work. The first mark is 16* before tdc, the second mark is tdc.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Set engine on #1 cylinder TDC - - rotor pointing at #1 spark plug tower on distributor.

Mark the rotor pointer location on the distributor housing. Pencil works well. Mark, exactly opposite, the distributor base and the distributor drive. Remove distributor and repair.

When you reinstall the distributor make sure your witness marks line up. Since you do not have the wire from the coil to distributor attached - - static time the ignition system. Lock down the distributor. You can check timing with a light, but you will normally be spot on.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 am

Hi,
Hooking up the timing light to 12 volts makes it brighter than 6 volts, at least mine is that way.
I guess you did not remove the Battery Ignition Unit from the engine, so all it needs is the timing checked and adjusted.
It is easy to check the timing on a Cub engine. Here is a page from the Cub service manual, set it to mark number 1 in the pic with the engine running at slow idle speed, which should be about 500 RPM. Turn the distributor, like you said above, by loosening the clamp bolts, there was originally 2 bolts, one is on the engine side of the distributor. You might only have one, I've read on here that people leave one off.
After you set the timing and tighten the bolts, you can check and see if the advance works right, it needs to work right so the engine will have full power. As you increase the engine speed, the timing should advance part way to the number 2 mark in the pic, until it is at or near the number 2 mark, when it is at full speed. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg