Installing a rear wheel weight

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bullmack
Zip Code: 98498
Tractors Owned: 2003 JD 4210 w/backhoe
2006 JD 3120

Re: Installing a rear wheel weight

Postby bullmack » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:29 pm

I appreciate the feedback.

Barnyard wrote:Why remove the weight? I always just remove the rim from the center. Only four bolts that way.
This gets the tire/rim minus the center section off the tractor but I'd still have to remove the weight and re-install the center section in order for the tire shop to repair the flat.

cub&catman wrote:I USUALY JUST LAY THE WHEEL FLAT AND PUT THE WEIGHT ON IT AND BOLT IT DOWN, THEN TIP THE WHOLE WHEEL UP.
Doable but the problem I see is that now I'm trying to jockey even more weight onto the hub to remount the tire/rim assembly.
1949 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 pm

bullmack wrote:I appreciate the feedback.

Barnyard wrote:Why remove the weight? I always just remove the rim from the center. Only four bolts that way.
This gets the tire/rim minus the center section off the tractor but I'd still have to remove the weight and re-install the center section in order for the tire shop to repair the flat.

The tire shop shouldn't need the center. Just take them the tire and rim.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi,
I think Barnyard was saying on page 1 of this post that if you are starting with the wheel center, wheel weight, and rim assembled on the tractor, jack it up and remove only the 4 bolts that hold the rim onto the center, and remove only the rim and tire, and take that to be worked on.
The center and wheel weight can stay on the Cub. :)

Randy Tuura
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm always the wise guy.

I took 'em off and I don't plan on putting them back on.

Only two things I do with my Cub and that's cut grass and plow snow.

Neither one needs weights. I live in Northern Minnesota where we get real snow. But one fall I didn't feel like putting them back on. I thought if it didn't work I'd depend on my 10.5 hp snowblower and invent a way to get 'em on next time.

Y'know what? I thought the snowplowing was easier without the weights. We have a 280 foot long drive and I plow around to the back of the house so we can unload the cars up 8 steps instead of 14.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Gerry Powell
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:30 pm

I agree with cub&catman, jack up the tractor, take the tire off, put the weight on, put the tire back on. No broken fingers- or backs, still singing in the back row.

bullmack
Zip Code: 98498
Tractors Owned: 2003 JD 4210 w/backhoe
2006 JD 3120

Postby bullmack » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:00 am

Gerry Powell wrote:I agree with cub&catman, jack up the tractor, take the tire off, put the weight on, put the tire back on. No broken fingers- or backs, still singing in the back row.

I can see this approach if the tractor is jacked up with a hydraulic jack. This allows you to set the height of the hub exactly so that you can align the hub and tire with little to no lifting. In my case the tractor was on blocking so lifting the tire plus wheel weight as a unit weighs even more!
1949 Farmall Cub