Couple observations wondering the cause

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
Circle of Safety: Y

Couple observations wondering the cause

Postby ShawnAgne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:23 am

I have a brand new rebuilt Cub 184 motor coming so I'm not to concerned about what I observed today with the original block but I am curious as to the cause.

1. While the engine was running on the original block I noticed some exhaust coming from the oil dipstick. I did run a whole can of Seafoam through for the past 2 tanks. Is the smoke from the dipstick area a result of that?

2. The original block runs and mows like a champ. Was taking a healthy 3" or so off the grass and it was a little wet (3160 deck), while the motor slowed down it still got the job done. At the end however I noticed it started skipping occasionally while the deck was engaged and then at the very end it was going in and out. If I pushed the clutch it was fine, if I didn't run the deck it was fine. Is this "skipping" a result of the mower deck and wet grass bogging down the engine?
Shawn Agne

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Re: Couple observations wondering the cause

Postby inairam » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

blow by of the rings will end up in the pan and come out of the vent. My 1949 was doing that. When I did a valve job my auto mechanic suggest poring Seafoam into the cylinders while the head was off and letting it sit. I did add some each weekend until I got the head back on. It greatly reduced blow by and blue smoke out the back. Cleaning the vent tube from the valve plate to the air cleaner also helps.

I also have experienced a loss of power over time when mowing. I really do not have a suggestion on that. The spindles or the tractor pto could be getting bound up some how as it gets and stays hot. weak spark from coil as it get hot. I really do not know. Love the answer to that one.

The engine from the 184 in the club. I have read on the forum that there were different clutches used in the number series and not all of the cranks for number cubs had plot holes drilled in. You may want to research this to see if the 184 engine has the hole in the crank. I have never tried the engine swap, but remember reading it somewhere.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:00 pm

FIgured out the cause of the sputtering, I was running with a tad to much choke. After it sputtered and died out I smelled the carb. Smelled like gas. Ran it with choke closed more no more issue.
Shawn Agne

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:26 am

ShawnAgne wrote:...... I was running with a tad to much choke. ...............
Should not need any choke for normal operation. If you are having to use the choke to keep it running then you have a fuel restriction problem. Once the engine is warmed up the choke lever should be all the way in, the lever on the backside of the carb should be straight down at six o'clock (so gravity can help the detent spring keep it in place), which should have the choke butterfly in the carb opening horizontal and fully open. You can remove the hose and see it in the end of the carb.

ShawnAgne wrote:.....Ran it with choke closed more no more issue..........
I think this is just terminology. Closing the choke would be just the opposite of what you just said. Do you mean that the choke rod was pushed in more (closed?) Pulling the rod actually closes the choke butterfly, pushing it in opens the choke. Or is your choke lever not set up the way I described above? :?

ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"

Postby ShawnAgne » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 am

Ok sorry. Yes I need to have the check lever pulled back slightly to run. If it is pushed in all the way the engine runs rough. So I have it pulled slightly back and it will run fine.

So since there may be a restriction issue what should I do?
Shawn Agne

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:38 am

As Scrivet said;
You can remove the hose and see it in the end of the carb.

You maybe should do this. One time the screw on the butterfly rod loosened enough on mine, that the butterfly flopped over and the choke was actually working backwards. Worked good, just backwards.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"

Postby ShawnAgne » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Will do. Thanks a bunch. It is something that has just started occurring so the idea of something working its way loose does make sense.
Shawn Agne

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:33 am

The shaft arm that the rod hooks to can loosen up on the shaft and move it's position also, that's why I mentioned straight down.

For the fuel restriction, most likely is a slightly crudded up orifice in the carb. That's the little hex head brass bolt low on the side of the carb. It's the smallest point in the fuel system and usually the first to stop up. When you remove it from the carb, it has a big hole sideways, and a little hole in the end that goes through to the big sideways hole. The little hole in the end is the issue and needs some carb cleaner or solvent and then a small strand of wire, like a bread tie with the plastic removed or a single strand of copper wire, gently poked in it to dislodge stubborn crud. Less likely is the float needle valve, the screen plugged at the carb inlet if it's still there, etc. in the fuel delivery system. I bet you'll find it's the orifice. You can do a search or somebody will post a picture and links if you're still a little unsure.