This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Preparation For Winter Storage

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Preparation For Winter Storage

Postby LRiddle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 pm

ctltmp wrote:Already did that. Right after I replaced the radiator bearings..........

Haha!

Good thinking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:49 am

Winter? What is that?

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:11 am

Guess I've been lucky! Just fill the gas tank w/stabil in it, be sure the battery is fully charged, shut off the sediment bowl, usually change the oil so it w/be fresh, leave for the winter!! Come back in spring, turn on fuel and fire up!! All are stored inside but no heat - no problem!! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 am

Dusty B wrote:Guess I've been lucky! Just fill the gas tank w/stabil in it, be sure the battery is fully charged, shut off the sediment bowl, usually change the oil so it w/be fresh, leave for the winter!! Come back in spring, turn on fuel and fire up!! All are stored inside but no heat - no problem!! Dusty B

Why change the oil before you park it for the winter? The engine sweats and you will have that condensation in your fresh oil when you crank it up, why not change it after you pull it out after winter and drain the old oil & condensation then you know you have fresh oil?
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Chipmaker wrote:Why change the oil before you park it for the winter? The engine sweats and you will have that condensation in your fresh oil when you crank it up, why not change it after you pull it out after winter and drain the old oil & condensation then you know you have fresh oil?

You have valid points. However, valid argument can be made for changing in the fall. After using the engine all summer, moisture, raw gasoline and combustion byproducts including acids have accumulated in the oil. Changing the oil in the fall gets rid of most of the contaminants before the engine sits through the winter. Then the engine is started and thoroughly warmed up in the spring, most of the accumulation condensation will be driven out by the engine heat.

I think everyone should pick their own answer. On one side he should take into consideration how much the engine has been run each year. On the other, he should consider humidity levels and how wide the temperature variation is in the storage location.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:Why change the oil before you park it for the winter? The engine sweats and you will have that condensation in your fresh oil when you crank it up, why not change it after you pull it out after winter and drain the old oil & condensation then you know you have fresh oil?

You have valid points. However, valid argument can be made for changing in the fall. After using the engine all summer, moisture, raw gasoline and combustion byproducts including acids have accumulated in the oil. Changing the oil in the fall gets rid of most of the contaminants before the engine sits through the winter. Then the engine is started and thoroughly warmed up in the spring, most of the accumulation condensation will be driven out by the engine heat.

I think everyone should pick their own answer. On one side he should take into consideration how much the engine has been run each year. On the other, he should consider humidity levels and how wide the temperature variation is in the storage location.

I see both sides of it Jim and thank you for your views on it. I love to hear your side of things, you are always spot on and see things that others may miss. Oil is one of those things if you ask a question about it to 10 different people you will get 10 different answers.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 am

Boy, quite a conversation. In my particular instance everything will be off the engine, so fuel does not come into play. Only what is remaining in the water jackets and oil in the pan. Just want to be sure the valves stay free and the rings/cylinder walls don't begin any rust. They shouldn't, but I have a lot of work in the old piece. It's a case of "an ounce of prevention".

All interesting comments though.
WV Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”