This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch control system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roadkill101
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14040

Touch control system

Postby Roadkill101 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:30 pm

Have farmall cub that makes a whining noise when touch control system is engaged any ideas of how to fix noise.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch control system

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir? Some degree of whining is present in all of my Cub's Touch Controls. Is yours loud?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. All the ones I have seen make some whining noise, usually it is not loud though, like Don said.
To Check the fluid, remove the filler plug on the left side of the Touch Control block, check it only with the arms in the rear or down position. The fluid level rises as the arms go to the rear. The level should be up to the filler plug hole.
If the fluid hasn't been changed in years, it could probably use a change, here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how. If you change it, be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4, to get the air out of the system.
The modern name for the fluid is Hy-Tran fluid, they have it at Case IH dealers. There are other brands, be sure it works with IH systems before buying it. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

Roadkill101
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Roadkill101 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for your help I did look at the reservoir and it was a little low added some fluid and the whining went almost all away still a little whining but only when touch controls are engaged now. Kind of funny how a little bit of oil can change how the whole tractor sounds. Planned on doing a complete change of all oils since I'm not sure when the last time they were done just got the 1954 cub this summer and want to get it ready for winter for some snow plowing. Hydraulic oil I use is from tractor supply and called super s super Trac 303 tractor hydraulic fluid it says it is good for ih models before 1974.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Roadkill101 wrote:want to get it ready for winter for some snow plowing. Hydraulic oil I use is from tractor supply and called super s super Trac 303 tractor hydraulic fluid it says it is good for ih models before 1974.

That may not be a good choice.

SuperTrac 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is recommended for ambient temperatures between +32°F and 104°F (0°C to 40°C). For ambient temperatures outside this range or where a premium tractor hydraulic/transmission oil is required, please use Super S Premium Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid.

Roadkill101
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Roadkill101 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Alright thanks for the advise will use that than.

Roadkill101
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Roadkill101 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Got another question should I swap different oils in for the summer and than change the oils again for winter or should I just use one set of oils all year long.

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:15 am

The Touch Control manual for my 1948 Cub says to use 10W motor oil. I have used 10W non detergent motor oil for years winter and summer and never had a problem. I was always concerned about using a Hy Tran type transmission oil since it is possible for the Touch Control oil pump to leak oil past the shaft seal and go into the crankcase. I thought motor oil was better for the engine than transmission oil. However, it is thinner than the recommended 30W oil, but unless the seal is real bad not that much should get in.

John M.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 am

JohnMihevic wrote:The Touch Control manual for my 1948 Cub says to use 10W motor oil. I have used 10W non detergent motor oil for years winter and summer and never had a problem. I was always concerned about using a Hy Tran type transmission oil since it is possible for the Touch Control oil pump to leak oil past the shaft seal and go into the crankcase. I thought motor oil was better for the engine than transmission oil. However, it is thinner than the recommended 30W oil, but unless the seal is real bad not that much should get in.

John M.

Yes, it is true the original oil recommendation was 10W motor oil. It is also true that the reason IH developed Touch-Control Fluid was because of problems in Touch-Control systems that were running motor oil. Hydraulic oil, at least original Touch-Control Fluid used the same base oil as motor oil with different additive packages.

I'll go out on a limb in this paragraph, as I haven't verified it. The main difference was the addition of anti-foam additives to hydraulic oil. Typical motor oil of 1950 probably had no anti-foam additive but modern motor oil does. The newer Hy-Tran is an improved version of Touch-Control Fluid. I think the biggest difference is addition of EP additives. It is also better at absorbing moisture. The biggest effect hydraulic oil mixing into motor oil is likely to have is the viscosity dilution by the 10W aspect of the hydraulic oil.

From what I have seen with the pump seals, they seem to fail all at once. One day your hydraulic system is full. The next day it has emptied itself into the crankcase. I suspect the all or nothing behavior is because the seals operate under pressure.

Side note, for many people 10W non-detergent oil is getting hard to find.

Roadkill101
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Roadkill101 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:40 pm

I have always found non detergent motor oil in 10w 20w and 30w at tractor supply and they always seem to have some on hand at least since I've been watching for it since may or so.

Return to “Farmall Cub”