Cub Smoking: Sometimes A lot, Sometimes a little

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Radec Aksarben
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 68739
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Smoking: Sometimes A lot, Sometimes a little

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:15 am

Been a while since I've been on here.

I haven't used my cub in a while for anything more than short rides for over a year. I decided to put the mower deck back on yesterday so it could get some proper use. (It had been used maybe 100 hours a year for ~7 years to mow at my parents prior to last summer when pops bought his own mower)

Everything worked fine and it started easily by crank, like it usually does but it seemed to be smoking quite a bit.

It would give off a pretty thick blue cloud sometimes when idling, sometimes not.
There would be a lot of smoke when under load, sometimes not.

What would cause this type of behavior?

I remember before we took the engine to the machine shop to be reassembled 8? years ago it smoked a bunch and we could feel by hand that the top of the cylinder bore was larger than the bottom. I wonder if the machine shop even bored it out. It smoked from day one after the rebuild, but I don't remember it being this much smoke.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Smoking: Sometimes A lot, Sometimes a little

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi,
It sounds like the rings got stuck some after sitting for a while, could be one or more cylinders.
You could try putting in some of the additives that the guys on here recommend, and see if it gets better.
The engine should not have been smoking after a rebore and rebuild.
You could take off the head and measure the cylinders and see if they are worn, if you want to look at them. :)