My Cub rebuild

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cbfarmall
Zip Code: 46341

My Cub rebuild

Postby cbfarmall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Dragged my old Cub out from behind the garage--got tired of seeing it sitting so forlorn looking. Plus, it was lightly stuck and that was really bothering. I should have taken a picture at the start but you know how those things go....

Here's one from over 30 years ago:

The cat is long dead--picked a fight with the wrong raccoon--but the rest of us are still kicking around.

My dad lost the air cleaner cup at some point and quit running it. I resurrected it in 1998. Smoked like a freight train and knocked when the bad governor allowed it to over-rev. I cheated and replaced the rings with oversize and put in new bearings. Plowed a lot of snow this way. After several years the smoking returned so I parked the Cub and moved onto bigger tractors (M, B, Super M, W9, 560).

Started stripping it down early July 2016. The paint job is about 15 years old, sitting outside.

This is how I pulled the front pulley. Once I figured out the setup, it pulled super easy.

Didn't take long to strip it down to the block and get it onto an engine stand.

cbfarmall

Re: My Cub rebuild

Postby cbfarmall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 pm

The machine shop confirmed my suspicions about the engine condition. He bored it .020 over and ground the rod and mains .020 under. The valves were all good as was the cam. Had to mill the block about .006 to get it flat, ditto with the head. Milled the flywheel for a new clutch. Domed pistons and I was good to go.

Going together.

Starting took a little doing. Had to jump the starter with 12V to spin it enough to start, which it did. After that, the negative cable was replaced. The starter end got smoking hot. Starts effortlessly now. It helps that I had my Super M 6 volt monster battery laying around all charged up. Way too big for the battery box, but at $100 for a new battery I'm not complaining.

It still had the remnants of the old fabric harness all taped up with fresh bare spots. Stripped all that out and rewired the original 4 position light switch, generator, and cutout relay. Imagine my surprise to see 12 amps of charging and 3 or 4 amps low.

I had to play around with the rear seal to stop it leaking. Buying a new $200 assembly will be my last resort.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Looks like the resto is well under way. If you find the rear seal still leaks, Tim Talleur (tst on the forum), mills out the opening for an off the shelf seal which has a tight press fit. That would require another split though.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cbfarmall

Postby cbfarmall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:11 pm

I ran it a couple laps to make sure the engine wouldn't grenade and pulled it back into the garage to tear apart the howling transmission. Pulling that was a little trickier than pulling the engine but after a couple hours:

Both spline shaft bearings were shot and the bottom ones were only marginally better. Differential bearings pitted as well. All water damaged I'd say. So, replace all that and install new seals top to bottom. The finals were in much better shape needing only seals and gaskets.

I had little trouble removing the differential but I couldn't remember how to worm it back in to save my life. I had to sort of recreate that scenario and it became apparent.

Not as impressive as an M or W9 transmission but they are still lasting this long.

Back together.....almost. I broke the left axle nut, split right in half. A replace is on the way, so the Cub is rolling nowhere.

I forgot to say, but this is a 1948 model with a manual lift. I have mounted cultivators, push blade, mower deck and a moldboard plow somewhere.

cbfarmall

Postby cbfarmall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:14 pm

The only worry I have is the differential shafts. Mice did their damage to the right shaft building nests in the tube and corroding it. I speedi-sleeved all 4 seal contact surfaces for both shafts. If the right one doesn't hold up I'll have to replace the shaft. Minor, really. That's an afternoon job.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Chris B.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Postby ctltmp » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Would be something if you could recreate the picture when it's all done with the same people (- the cat of course). It also occurs to me with. 020 over dome pistons, .006 off the block and head you should have great compression and really good power for a cub :{_}: .
WV Mike

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Excellent work, thanks for the pictures.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:42 pm

A great idea pulling it out from behind the shed.
Great work too.
Neat provenance on your cub.