This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub overheat/runs hot

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimds199
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45148

cub overheat/runs hot

Postby jimds199 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:41 pm

I have a 1953 cub and it overheats/runs hot and when mowing the hill behind my house it will spew coolant out of the over flow I have checked the following things
I have tried 2 different radiators both have good even flow
I have flushed the engine with clean water(repeatedly)
I have cleaned the bolster coolant holding area
I have changed the head gasket
Is there a problem or am I just pushing the poor little guy too hard. I am mowing with a bushog 42 inch belly mower. I also have a mott under belly flail mower would it help th change mowers???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub overheat/runs hot

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 pm

You say that it runs hot and spews coolant on a hill. A question is in order:
Do you fill the radiator clear up to the filler neck? If yes, that is a problem. The Cub has a thermosiphon cooling system and uses the top of the radiator as the expansion tank for the Cub at operating temperature. Therefore, if you fill the radiator clear up when cold, the coolant has to go somewhere as it reaches operating temperature. That somewhere is out the overflow tube, thus the spewing. Properly filled, when cold, is just above the radiator tubes. The empty area is for the expansion of the coolant as it gets hot. Going up or down hill should not cause a lot of spewing.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:00 pm

:Dito:

By far the majority of the time, what looks like overheating is just that the Cub radiator doesn't want to be as full as most of us newly initiated think it ought to be.

Also:
Does it spew going uphill or down?
Uphill = working harder = more heat => spew may mean overheating.
Downhill = working less = less heat => spew probably just from orientation.

For a sufficiently steep slope, the radiator cap may no longer be the highest point in the system. A bad radiator cap (or even a good non-pressure cap?) will spew simply because the tractor is sufficiently nose-down. Not sure if this is true of a non-pressure cap, nor am I sure when the Cubs changed from non-pressure to the 7 psi cap.

Also, also:
if it is actually overheating, check to make sure that the radiator is actually able to pass air effectively. I just hosed one down recently that looked to all appearances to be reasonably clean. However, when I put the hose to it, I was shocked at the amount of junk that came out of all the crevices. Just don't take an actual pressure washer to it. I'm told that the radiator won't tolerate that very well.

Also, also, also:
As a last resort, there are places in the cooling system that collect crud that isn't easily accessed to clean out. Someone on here developed an easily fabricated hose end extension with a right angle bend at the end for flushing those areas. Someone more experienced than I will have to weigh in on where those locations are, or exercising the search engine on here will likely find many references to the situation and pictures of the nozzle.

jimds199
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45148

Postby jimds199 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for the tips guys I talked to my son and he admitted he filled the radiator up to the level he usally services the 8N too before he mowed this last time so this maybe the culprit, and it only spews going downhill. And by chance does anybody know the operating temp. for a Cub I am curious and am going to check mine with non contact thermometer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:41 pm

jimds199 wrote:By chance does anybody know the operating temp. for a Cub I am curious and am going to check mine with non contact thermometer
Some where around 200 degrees F. in warm hot weather, engine fully warmed up. Not to long ago we had a discussion on coolant temperature. Several of us conducted checks. The 200 degrees F. is a ballpark figure, None of us had the exact same temperature.
I have an excuse. CRS.

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Eugene wrote:
jimds199 wrote:By chance does anybody know the operating temp. for a Cub I am curious and am going to check mine with non contact thermometer
Some where around 200 degrees F. in warm hot weather, engine fully warmed up. Not to long ago we had a discussion on coolant temperature. Several of us conducted checks. The 200 degrees F. is a ballpark figure, None of us had the exact same temperature.

:Dito: Mine usually runs 200 to 215 depeding on where I read it at. That's also using a cheap parts store laser thermometer, so I can't testify to the accuracy of it, but I believe it to be withing 5 -10 degrees of true.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”