This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rims

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Rims

Postby regwal » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:18 pm

A friend just called and asked if rims can be turned around for rear tires. He is swapping a right rear to left rear and was wondering if this could be done instead of changing the tire. I couldn't answer because never was faced with this.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rims

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:23 pm

It can be done. Is he just changing one rim. What about the centers, how will be positioned?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 am

Hi,
The tire tread has to face forward, if they are ag tires, so if you move it from the right to the left, it will change the width of the tread, because of how the attaching points on the rims are made.
Most of the positions are that way, you can see in the pic below.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing the different widths. That is the right wheel in the pic. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-50.jpg

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 am

Actually Bill he is taking right rim from one tractor and replacing it on left of another tractor. My curiosity is up now so plan to go look myself today. I was thinking the tread might change as Glen referenced. That may not outweigh the work of removing the tire and remounting to fit left side though. If it is only a matter of a an inch or so it probably won't matter to him. I might do the same thing to mine after looking the differences over carefully.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:47 am

Not enough information here to answer the original question. Let me try a different approach to an explanation.

The usual tractor rear tires are directional. They need to be mounted so the tire turns forward when the tractor goes forward. The rim can be oriented two different ways, with the mounting lugs to the left or to the right side. Each tractor should have one rear tire with the lugs oriented each way. You can vary the track width of the tractor by varying which tire is mounted on which side and how the lugs are bolted to the wheel centers.

When moving a tire/rim from one tractor to another, where or how the tire was bolted on the donor tractor has no bearing on proper fit on the receiving tractor. It only matters that the tractor end up with one tire/rim assembled each way.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 pm

If he takes the right rim/tire assembly from one tractor and puts it on the left of another, the tread width setting will either end up 2" wider or 2" narrower than it was on that side with the old rim/tire.

The four lugs on the rim are mounted 2" offset to one side so as to allow for twice as many tread width settings as you would have if the lugs were perfectly centered.

In order to get the same tread width setting, it is necessary to remount the tire on the rim.

This is why you will sometimes see tractors with two different tread width settings, or one tire running "backwards."

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:40 pm

I got very busy this morning with something else and didn't take a look. I guess from what you are saying Jim, there isn't a right or left rim, only how they are mounted to have the tire correct. If so then over the years they probably were changed from OEM mounting and would have to take a look making sure which way they are now. Makes sense the factory design would give another adjustment on tire tracking. With his luck (mine too) it won't be a straight swap. Thanks everyone for info. I passed along to him on email just now.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If he takes the right rim/tire assembly from one tractor and puts it on the left of another, the tread width setting will either end up 2" wider or 2" narrower than it was on that side with the old rim/tire.

The four lugs on the rim are mounted 2" offset to one side so as to allow for twice as many tread width settings as you would have if the lugs were perfectly centered.

In order to get the same tread width setting, it is necessary to remount the tire on the rim.

This is why you will sometimes see tractors with two different tread width settings, or one tire running "backwards."

While not a factor on the Cubs low speed ,one "other" tractor with a highway speed had one tire reversed to avoid "hopping".
Or the yayhoo could have just made that up after switching a wheel/tire combo wrong. :lol:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Of course he could get lucky and discover that the "right" wheel and tire he wants to install on the left side of the tractor is actually a "left" wheel and tire because of his desired tread width setting.

What I mean is, to keep the treads pointed in the right direction, you would swap rim/tire assemblies from left to right on a Cub to achieve certain tread widths, rather than dismount both tires and flip them over.

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Just looked at what my friend is wanting to do. Looks like a straight swap to me. Only problem is he wants this old man to help him. :lol: How can a friend be turned down? I'm glad he asked because I have never had a reason to notice this before. Never too old to learn something. :{_}:

Return to “Farmall Cub”