Splitting front portion off the engine

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
Circle of Safety: Y

Splitting front portion off the engine

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:57 am

Starting to get stuff setup for splitting the cub. Question is it better to pull the front end and engine off as one unit or should I pull the front end off then the engine?

I will be replacing the block.

Also when the front end is separated from the engine what is the best way to support it? I will have wedges in the front wheels.
Shawn Agne

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Re: Splitting front portion off the engine

Postby LRiddle » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:31 am

The answer lies in what you have available to do the work safely. I split my tractor by blocking the rear half and removing the engine and axle as one unit using an engine hoist. This was to do work on the clutch, so your needs may vary.
My opinion, if you want to replace the block, remove the front half as a unit and then put the front half with the block on an engine stand. You can then remove the attached parts like the axle and bolster from there as Chipmaker has done in this photo.
Attachments
IMG_9496.JPG
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 am

Either way will work. If you have a cherry picker or hoist it is pretty easy. I usually pull the bolster and front off first. Hold the engine with the cherry picker and attach to motor stand. Be sure to block up the rear part of the tractor, preferably with a stand. Be safe.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 am

ShawnAgne wrote:Also when the front end is separated from the engine what is the best way to support it? I will have wedges in the front wheels.
Could wheel the front end/bolster to a shop wall, block the wheels, tip toward the wall.

1 1/4" wood or steel in tool bar holder, angle a supporting brace from wood or steel so that the brace ends up about 6" from the bolster and reaches the floor.
I have an excuse. CRS.