Starter

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bowlturner
Zip Code: 05832

Starter

Postby bowlturner » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Just got a 1950 Cub. Magneto, starts with crank, runs fine. Is it possible to put a starter and generator on this tractor?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Short answer - - yes.

The expensive portion will be purchasing a working starter and starter controls. I would go with a 12 volt single wire alternator. But then you will need to manufacture brackets for the alternator and come up with a 12 volt battery, also a 60 amp gauge.

Guessing, you will spend $200- to $300- adding the starter and electrical charging system.

Just me, if the magneto works, I wouldn't make any changes to the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Surprised that the starter is missing. As long as you have the ring gear on the flywheel and the place to bolt a starter it should work fine. You can add a generator/regulator or use an alternator if you want to go with 12v. You can even upgrade the magneto to battery ignition if you want, makes it easier to convert to 12v. Parts are available, place a wanted add on THE VINE classified forum. EDIT: Eugene types faster than I. :)

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.
There were Cubs made that had no electrical system, other than the magneto. They just had a plate over the starter hole. If yours is one of those, I would remove the plate and carefully inspect the starter ring gear on the flywheel, I presume they had one, hopefully, I don't know, because it originally had no starter. If there is no gear, you will have to forget putting a starter on it, or split the Cub and put a gear on the flywheel.
If there is a gear, inspect the teeth carefully, using a light, and be sure they are all good. Turn the engine slowly with a crank, or the fan, if you have no crank. No telling what another owner did to it in the past, so I would inspect it.
Here is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the electrical system on the right side of the engine.
The whole owner's manual is below that. The guys on here recommend reading it, if you have not read one before. It has a table of contents on page 1, makes it easier to use on the internet. Click on the pics makes them bigger. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html