This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starting after 15 years idle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Captain Ron
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 40299

Starting after 15 years idle

Postby Captain Ron » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Yup... It stil turns over but I can't remember he last time I ran it. Wish me luck. I'll post the results after I complete the checklist for new owners.

Ron

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starting after 15 years idle

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Make sure you prime the oil pump prior to a full start.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Starting after 15 years idle

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:03 pm

I recently helped a guy start one that had set in his shed for 10 years. The points had to be replaced yo get fire. The little dab of gas that was left in it was oily. We poured fresh gas in it, and removed the fuel line from carb to drain as much of the oily sludge as possible, cleaned sediment bowl, and removed plug from bottom of carb to let it wash the goo out. Cranked it over a few times with the starter, then when it did not hit I removed the breather hose and covered the air inlet with my hand to force it to draw fresh gas through the jets, and after another 3 or 4 rounds it fired right up. Ran great.

If yours has been setting without the engine being turned over on a regular basis, do not be surprised if you have a stuck valve. Turning it over a few times using a hand crank should give you an idea if a valve is sticking. You should feel compression 2 times per round.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!