Cub with distributor vs magneto

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2769
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: AL (Southwest)

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Chipmaker wrote:Thank you Jim, I learn something most every time I read something you have to say!

GSS 1012, page 9 gives the information, Jim tells us why it's important. We are all indebted to him for his wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it. :thanx: THANK YOU JIM for your wise council and instruction.
points file.jpg

User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4338
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: NC, Jacksonville area

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Super A » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:27 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:
Ben B wrote:Hello Hutch.
I have a 1950 with a magneto, but the coil in the magneto had failed at some time, so a previous owner had converted it to an external coil. What I can tell you about mine is like Jim said, the battery has to be pretty well charged. Also, mine has always been hard to start with the hand crank even with a good battery, so I've only done it a few times just for the sake of knowing I can. Generally though, the crank is for when the battery is dead, and with an external coil it is pointless because there's no juice to power the coil. Been there and done that...
Maybe I'm missing something here but if there is a battery to connected to power the external coil why is there no "juice" for hand cranking? I'm confused. :?: :-? :lost: Unless the idea is "when the battery is dead". If that's the case, then just mark it up to being senile. Sometimes it takes me a little while to catch on. :lol: (BTW, I have a '49 that has a mag with external coil.)



A battery that is too weak to crank the tractor with the starter will usually start the tractor when you hand crank it if everything else is reasonably up to snuff.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 13044
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:34 am

staninlowerAL wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:Thank you Jim, I learn something most every time I read something you have to say!

GSS 1012, page 9 gives the information, Jim tells us why it's important. We are all indebted to him for his wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it. :thanx: THANK YOU JIM for your wise council and instruction.

You are welcome guys. I remember dos and don'ts better if I have the why. I think a lot of others do too. Sometimes I include the why when I post a do or don't. Other times, like this time, I don't. When I don't, it may be because I don't know or it may be because I don't feel like typing it in. Always feel free to ask why on any of my comments. I'll do what I can to shed some light.

User avatar
Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Oak Ridge, N.C.

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Shane Nelson » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 am

Jim Becker wrote:
staninlowerAL wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:Thank you Jim, I learn something most every time I read something you have to say!

GSS 1012, page 9 gives the information, Jim tells us why it's important. We are all indebted to him for his wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it. :thanx: THANK YOU JIM for your wise council and instruction.

You are welcome guys. I remember dos and don'ts better if I have the why. I think a lot of others do too. Sometimes I include the why when I post a do or don't. Other times, like this time, I don't. When I don't, it may be because I don't know or it may be because I don't feel like typing it in. Always feel free to ask why on any of my comments. I'll do what I can to shed some light.


Most of the time I remember the don'ts better than the do's from personal experience. After something I did fails I think "I shouldn't have done that". :lol:
God is good, all the time!
Circle of Safety

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby capecodcub » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Ben B wrote:
staninlowerAL wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here but if there is a battery to connected to power the external coil why is there no "juice" for hand cranking? I'm confused. :?: :-? :lost: Unless the idea is "when the battery is dead". If that's the case, then just mark it up to being senile. Sometimes it takes me a little while to catch on. :lol: (BTW, I have a '49 that has a mag with external coil.)


Yes, it took me a LONG time to finally figure out that hand cranking is pointless with a dead battery if you have an external coil... I can be a bit of a ding bat sometimes, and the obvious escapes me :oops:

You guys are not explaining this completely. The external coil can be used with a magneto. To keep it simple, with a magneto, that in itself creates electricity to power a coil for the ignition. Whether it is inside the mag cover or sitting outside. With a distributor, you need a battery to power the coil, that in turns gives you spark at the plugs. With a magneto-no battery needed. With a distributor, you need a reasonably charged 6volt battery. Done.
David Svarczkopf

User avatar
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Posts: 22234
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.
Location: Mo, Potosi

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:08 pm

capecodcub wrote:.........
You guys are not explaining this completely. The external coil can be used with a magneto. To keep it simple, with a magneto, that in itself creates electricity to power a coil for the ignition. Whether it is inside the mag cover or sitting outside. .......
I believe you did not type what you intended to. A magneto with an external coil requires external power for the coil. If it is not inside the magneto it is too far from the internal magnets to provide power to the coil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

User avatar
Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:49 am
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Southwest Virginia

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Ben B » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Yep, I thought this discussion was over a long time ago...

The point is this: A magneto using an external coil will not work without an external battery to power it.
Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:05 pm
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'59 International Lo-Boy
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle
Location: Algonquin Illinois

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Gary S. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:35 am

Many years ago the mag failed on ours and Dad did not have time for it to be down. The dealer sold him the distributor kit and told him not to worry about hand cranking it because the battery would always have enough charge left in it to fire. Now I don't know how that could be especially if it internally shorted out but we have never hand cranked since in something like 40+ years. I learned to drive with this one when it still had the mag and had to hand crank it since the battery at the time was bad.

User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4338
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: NC, Jacksonville area

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Super A » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:51 am

Gary S. wrote:Many years ago the mag failed on ours and Dad did not have time for it to be down. The dealer sold him the distributor kit and told him not to worry about hand cranking it because the battery would always have enough charge left in it to fire. Now I don't know how that could be especially if it internally shorted out but we have never hand cranked since in something like 40+ years. I learned to drive with this one when it still had the mag and had to hand crank it since the battery at the time was bad.


The dealer was correct. My "pretty" Super A had been converted to distributor ignition many years ago. Prior to restoration it had a chronically dead battery. A few pulls of the crank and it would fire right up. It doesn't take all that much juice to fire the spark plugs.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

User avatar
TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Cut and Shoot Texas

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby TurboRoadster » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

I installed pertronix electronic ignition and the hot coil in my cub, starts so easy, I mean, just bump it and wham she is purring.
If I had to hand crank, I'd say it would be $140 well spent.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2859
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:26 pm
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 pm

I use med. grit emery cloth on mine then wipe between contacts with clean cardboard then blow any remaining dirt out with air hose.---even with file you still gotta clean the filings out of the dist.--- thanks; sonny
Image

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 13044
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Cub with distributor vs magneto

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:22 pm

But with a file you don't embed emery grit in the points, which dooms them to more burning.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lliberto, stalkcutter and 7 guests