Shock Spring for early (1949-1952) L 54 Grader Blade?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Shock Spring for early (1949-1952) L 54 Grader Blade?

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm currently overhauling an earlier style L 54 Grader/Leveling Blade (made 1949 to 1952 per TM's web site) but suspect the shock spring that attaches to the back side of the blade is beyond salvaging. It looks as if it spend a fair number of years partially buried in the dirt since it's quite rusty and pitted. Moreover, several of the coils are compressed together such that the spring isn't long enough to contact the pitch adjustment bracket at the rear, even with the bracket in the most "forward" position. I see where MSC Direct carry a number of heavy compression springs (so-called "die springs") that will fit over the 1" diameter shaft that the shock spring rides along, but they vary as to length, pounds of max deflection, and inches of total deflection. Does anyone have these figures for an original IH Blade shock spring? I'm not too concerned about the length, since I'm pretty sure I could cut and grind down the new spring should it prove too long. But the deflection force and inches of total deflection would seem more critical. Should the replacement prove too weak or too strong, or if it doesn't compress as much as the original, it might well affect its operation and/or ability to absorb shock without damage. Has anyone ever replaced one of these springs and, if so, with what? Thanks in advance!