Bad compression

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Bad compression

Postby brewzalot » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 pm

ParlowMillFarm wrote:Could the minuscule amount the fan flexes during use be hitting my new tube

Fan blade cracked allowing more than minuscule movement when running?

ParlowMillFarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02738
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Jim & Brewalot,

Thanks for the input. I'll check for small hairline cracks and repaint the tube tomorrow before final assembly (if the new fan belt comes)

I did notice the tube missing a lot of paint, but that may be because of all the banging around as I have taken off the fan and pu back on 5 or 6 times now.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 am

Hi,
John, I'm wondering if your fan belt is too long. You probably put on a new one. The new ones I buy at Case IH make the fan hub shaft a little below half way up the slot in engine front cover. If the belt is too long, the fan will be up higher, and might hit something at the top of the fan's rotation. :)

ParlowMillFarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02738
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Glen,

Well the issue is certainly fan belt related. I did not buy a new fan belt. The one I have on there has been on there for a long time. I noticed during the "rattling sound" episodes that my generator belt was loose - as in too long because my generator was at the end of the bracket. I got it into my head that perhaps I got the current belt at a local auto parts store and it was not the right size. So I ordered a new one.

The new generator belt arrived and I got the fan hub back on with both belts and noticed that the generator belt was still loose. I then thought perhaps that a PO swapped out the generator bracket at some time and that was causing my problems.

So I went back to the clacking sound issue as I could get the generator bracket fixed later.

I knocked the bottom keeper of the overflow tube in toward the radiator to the maximum amount. I then cranked the fan over and noticed it was hitting the top of the fan guard and the overflow tube up top.

I dropped the fan hub a little so the fan cleared the tube and guard. This also tightened up the generator belt to the right tension.

So I guess both my problems were self induced by an over tensioning of the fan belt.

Just a few minor things to do before I take it for a test run. I want to put a few hours on it before I test the new compression.

John