update on '53 cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

update on '53 cub

Postby k hutchins » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Ok good news/bad news

I got my friends cub running.
New battery, oil and filter (yes I remembered to prime the pump), fresh gas (had to make a new cork gasket for the sediment bowl), cleaned the cable connection to the starter, then tried it and away she went.
No runs, no drips, no errors.

Now on to the next phase.

The PTO won't engage, the gear seems to move freely back and forth on the rod, but I can't get it to engage the drive gear. I held the shifter in place and tried to just bearly let out the clutch figuring it was just off a bit and would click in, but no such luck, I could just hear it grinding.
Does anyone have advice for a quick fix. I would rather not pull it if I don't have to, but if that's the only way so be it.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys won't let me down.
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: update on '53 cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:05 pm

The pin on the shift lever may be worn flat and the clutch isn't moving enough to catch the splines on the input shaft. If the splines on the shaft are worn rounded, the clutch may not be able to engage the "good" splines. You might try loosening the plate that holds the shift lever to see if you can move the lever back far enough to engage. Not a fix, but then you'll know that you need to pull it off for repair.

Bob

Edit: if you remove the fill plug, you can look inside with a light and possible pin point the problem.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks Bob
I did pull the fill plug, and all seems in order.
As to the shift lever plate, that's another issue, it's not there, so no travel problems.
I held it back with pressure on it then let the clutch out slowly, the gears just ground without engaging.
It could be the teeth on the PTO gear are worn down, I'll have to check again.
Is the whole mechanism visible if I pull the trans cover plate? So I can really see what's going on.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:15 pm

khutchins wrote:Is the whole mechanism visible if I pull the trans cover plate? So I can really see what's going on.

No, you either need to remove the triangular plate that the shaft exits through (which doesn't require draining), or take off the whole cover (which does, but makes it much easier to work on it). The PTO bushing may also need to be replaced.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi,
You could try turning the end of the PTO shaft by hand, with the engine off, and pull back on the PTO lever, and see if the PTO will go into gear.
I'm not sure which cover you meant, here is a pic below of what is under the shifter, just trans gears, the PTO parts are not in there.
Looking in the oil fill hole, or removing the PTO is where to see the PTO shifter parts, like Bob said. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 4.JPG