This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel Line Hard Line ~VS~ Rubber Hose

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Fuel Line Hard Line ~VS~ Rubber Hose

Postby ctltmp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:50 am

I'm close to getting the tank on and buttoning things up. What's the opinion on fuel lines? The line was steel from the tank to the carb when it came to me. I would think that a hose would offer a lot more forgiveness.

Second part is in line filter or not. I have read posts that they are restrictive, but a screen seems to offer little to no protection against dirt.
WV Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel Line Hard Line ~VS~ Rubber Hose

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:01 am

ctltmp wrote:Second part is in line filter or not. I have read posts that they are restrictive, but a screen seems to offer little to no protection against dirt.
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this topic.

I have used the "rubber" fuel line with gravity fed fuel filter for 11 years. Only had to replace the fuel filter once, easy task.

When I do major work on a tractor, I replace the sediment bowl with a ball valve, then a "rubber" hose, and gravity flow filter.

Ball valve, positive fuel shut off.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 am

Is your tank clean & rust free? If so go back steel, do it right the first time and be done with it. The tank is hard mounted on a Cub and doesn't need rubber to forgive, that's one reason they had steel on them to begin with. With that being said our '49 had a rubber line on it with an inline cut off (no filter) when we got it and there's no telling how long it had been on there. It has brass on it now because I haven't switched it to steel after finding out I shouldn't have used brass.
Last edited by Slim140 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 am

If you need to have stock original go with the steel. I have used the rubber hose for years with no problem. I use a good quality hose designed for fuel, Briggs & Stratton # 395051R (.250” X .440” ). I have the later sediment bowl, that has a "stub end" that goes a short distance up in the fuel tank so that the fuel is not drawn directly off the bottom of the tank. As a precautionary measure, ocassionaly, I will siphon off some gas with a short flex hose around the "stub end" to draw off any dirt particles that may have collected at the bottom of the tank.

John M.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:51 am

The main issue with the rubber hose is on tractors with the underslung exhaust. It lays right on the HOT exhaust pipe, and there's no way around it. You do the math...

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Well I won't have to worry about the exhaust issue since it's vertical. Amazingly enough the tank is pretty darn clean.

I like the thought of the rubber hose with an interest line filter and shut off. What i.d fuel line are you running?
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:11 pm

ctltmp wrote:What i.d fuel line are you running?
1/4". The 1/4" fits most gravity fed fuel filters. You can purchase hose barbs in that size from the hardware store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby clm2112 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 pm

My opinion is that both steel and rubber fuel line are acceptable in most cases. I had a mangled steel line and replaced it with rubber. It has worked fine for several months so far of daily use. (I haven't been around the forum much... been spending a lot of time hauling wood on the Cub.) If you have a working steel line, there's really no reason to switch to rubber. If you have a working rubber line, then there's no reason to switch back to steel.

The point about the under-slung exhaust bears repeating. That exhaust pipe gets pretty hot and the fuel line runs right behind it. Since I opted for a vertical exhaust, I didn't have any conflict with using a rubber fuel line with an in-line filter.

Return to “Farmall Cub”