Charging question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jerry's cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 16901
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub 1973 wheel horse commando 800 1985 wheel horse 417-8 and also 1989 international 9370 corn binder which I have owned and operated from brand new and still operate part time.

Charging question

Postby Jerry's cub » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 am

First off I have not played 6 volt or positive ground and mags in a very long time, with that being said I was checking my charging system on newly purchased 55 cub and when checking voltage at the battery with the tractor running the voltage is all over the place on a digital meter is this normal or do I have voltage regulator issue like maybe the regulator needs to be depolarized.
:tractor: ROMANS 6:23 Amateur radio operator since 1987 n3fvp amateur extra class

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Charging question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:24 am

That is normal with many digital meters. Digital meters do not normally take a continuous reading, but sample several times a second. The electrical noise produced by the generator brushes passing between segments and the contacts of the regular contacts opening and closing cause a digital meter to give wildly erroneous readings. Since you stated you have a regulator this diagram from Farmall Bob should help. At Cubarama this year we worked on one at Tinker Time that we found the mount for the regulator had corroded to the point of loosing ground keeping it from charging.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jerry's cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub 1973 wheel horse commando 800 1985 wheel horse 417-8 and also 1989 international 9370 corn binder which I have owned and operated from brand new and still operate part time.

Postby Jerry's cub » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Okay will dig out an analog meter if I can find one in my unused Colle tion of stuff and tnx fer the diagram. I thought to check to check generator I wud start tractor and disconnect ground to see tractor wud continue to run seems like that was an old test years ago to tell if generator was working.
:tractor: ROMANS 6:23 Amateur radio operator since 1987 n3fvp amateur extra class

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Do not disconnect battery on a running tractor, that can be very detrimental to generator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jerry's cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Jerry's cub » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:32 am

Okay I have not done so, I had forgot that any time u disrupt the system like having the battery unhooked it is nessasary to repolarize the generator. I did so and now my voltage reading is steady at between 6.4 and 6.6 with the lights on or off, which is probably a little weak.