This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Prepping for a new garden, how to start, and DIY implements?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Prepping for a new garden, how to start, and DIY impleme

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:28 pm

4thGen wrote:I've got around 15,000 s/f to prep for next year's garden.
That's about 1/3 acre. Depending on what grows well in your area, that's a lot of vegetables.

I don't have any where near 15,000 s/f of garden. My problem is that when a vegetable is in season, I have to go around begging neighbors to take excess I can't use.

My other thought is that you may have a farmers markets where you can sell excess vegetables.

There are several local folks who grow vegetables for the farmers market. Just guessing, 1/3 acre is about the largest.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Prepping for a new garden, how to start, and DIY impleme

Postby Stanton » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Good advice all the way around (as always).

I've used a 193 single moldboard plow behind a standard Cub quite a few times to turn over a garden spot in the Fall, let it sit all winter, then break it up with a Cub-23A, two-gang disk harrow. That almost gets it down to planting around here (clay soil). I'd imagine it would bring you right up to planting with sandy soil. The key for me was to get it plowed (soil turned under) in the Fall, then disk in the Spring.

If you want to see some of these in action, check out YouTube. Here's someone turning over a garden spot:

And here's a young man working a garden spot about the size you describe with a 5' disk:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”