This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

head gasket??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"
Circle of Safety: Y

head gasket??

Postby phildidit » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Here is the story. Last spring I started cutting grass with my loboy. It started running rough. Bad skip. Today I tried to get it running because I thought it may be a clogged main jet. I got her to run, still a bad skip. As she warmed up, white smoke from the exhaust and water coming from the manifold (underslung) , it cleared up but my oil is milky and still runs rough. Any thoughts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: head gasket??

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:52 pm

From your description the only certain fact is water getting into the combustion area from unknown location. What's the history before the problem began? Any engine work done? Any evidence of oil/bubbles in the radiator? Sounds like minimum is to remove the head and inspect everything you can see. While it's off, check for any distortion, head gasket leaking, clean up the valves and seat areas. It might be as simple as a head gasket leaking, hard to say without seeing it. Milky oil indicates water, might just be condensation. You could change it and see if it continues.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Re: head gasket??

Postby phildidit » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:10 pm

I have had it 5 years and have had no problems with it running, other than carb issues and tune up. Had good oil pressure, I haven't checked the compression though. I put a new radiator on it just before it started running funny. No oil in the water then.

Return to “Farmall Cub”