how to build a wide CUB

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sweetcorn70
Zip Code: 43119

how to build a wide CUB

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:41 pm

High all. I have a project I am working on. I am trying to figure out how to make a CUB with at least 64" tread width. I originally planned to find a High and Wide, however this is will be a work tractor carrying a planter so I'm not sure that is a good idea, I have read the finals on a cub are delicate. Can a right side axle and housing be bolted to the left side to widen it? I've tried researching on here and saw a reference to modifying the differential to do it but I'm not sure if that was on a cub or cub cadet. How much extra width would that gain? I thought I could cut the front axle extension, add a pipe or bar inside and extend it the necessary width that way.

Thanks!

Mike

sweetcorn70

Re: how to build a wide CUB

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I finally found a couple posts that explained the problem. Either the shaft needs extended or the case needs machined. So that brings me to another question.... Does the axle tube contain any bearings or is it simply a tube with a flange on either end? I've never been inside one and the parts diagrams I can find aren't really clear. If the latter I am quite certain I could get a tube built pretty reasonable.

Thanks for any advice

Mike

Sailor
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Sailor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:10 pm

The right side axle tube is hollow. If you were to connect another one on the left side, you would have to configure a long axle shaft for that side also.

You would also have problems with the left brake connector rod.

Or you could buy a "M".... I think that's the one with the wide rear end.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

sweetcorn70

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 pm

The plan is to install the long axle shaft in the left side also. I haven't looked at a cub much but I am sure I can come up with a way to operate the left brake as well.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Adding a left side housing to the right side has been done (by several people). But as you have found, the right side shaft will be the wrong length because the differential housing isn't symmetrical. The housing is effectively a tube with a flange on each end, no bearing carriers etc. It would add about 15 or 16 inches. Another alternative (probably simpler) is to add extensions at the wheel hubs, as was done with the high wide option. To get to 64 inches, you only need to add 4 inches to each side. If maintaining the current offset isn't critical, you could just add 8 inches to one side.

What are you going to be doing that requires the extra width? Raised beds? Maybe there is another approach that could be tried. For one, you might find yourself a Super A. They can go to a 68 inch track without modifications. Any way you get extra width will tend to make the tractor more fragile. You will need to be more careful about what load you put on the tractor.

sweetcorn70

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:49 am

Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I am wanting to use a 474 planter to plant on raised beds, and I may eventually set another cub up for a 252 cultivator. I have been looking for one of these planters for a while and I don't want to hack it up trying to put it on a super A. Also, a super A is generally more expensive than a cub by quite a bit. My thinking is that the dual wheel spacers would add stress on the entire final drive, but if I installed the axle tube on the left the wheels wouldn't even have to be at the widest setting and so that would be less stressful on the final drive. Having the engine offset is not critical in this application. This will be 100% a work tractor and reliability is the biggest concern I have.

Thanks
Mike

Crimson Tim
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:40 am

You know your local market better than I do, of course, but I would recommend keeping an eye on the bigger tractors. Generally, around here, the Cubs are more expensive than the others. An SA or SC generally a little less expensive, and sometimes the Hs and Ms can be had for even less.

I think it would be less expensive to either modify the attachment or fabricate some sort of mounting adapter, than to modify the tractor. Ideally, an adapter would be good. Then you wouldn't have to modify either the tractor or the implement. Of course, not being familiar with the implement you have in mind, this may not be at all practical, but worth thinking about?

sweetcorn70

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I look at craigslist pretty regular and I see way more cubs than the larger offsets. Usually when there is a bigger one it doesn't have the universal mounting frames and it is more expensive to boot.

The beds I need to straddle have a 54" top and 3" of slope on either side so the inside measurement of the rear tires needs to be at least 60".

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Your considerations are all valid. But there are a few more factors you might want to consider. The big one is that you haven't yet put your hands on a Cub-474 planter. If you modify the tractor by moving the final drive out, you may need to make some modification to the Cub-474 anyway. They are not easy to find. If you find an A-674 (Super A equivalent of the 474), grab it when you have the chance. There were a few more 674s in the first place. In fact, if you find any IH/Planet Jr. planter, you might want to get it and worry about finding the right tractor afterwards. Would a Super A really cost more than a Cub plus the cost of modifying it? I realize you probably already have the Cub. Another thing to keep in mind is the rear tire size. A bigger tire, more likely on a Super A, may need a slightly wider track to maintain enough space between the inside of the tires. I see from your latest post that a 64" track doesn't quite do it either, 68" is about the minimum.

The IH high wide option used axle spacers at 5 inches each. Clearly IH considered the tractor strong enough to use that way. One needs to be respectful of the tractor's limitations. Set it that wide for planting and cultivating. Don't use it that way for heavy tillage, put a loader on it, or hitch it to a heavy trailer. That applies whichever way you choose to widen it.

sweetcorn70

Postby sweetcorn70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Jim,

I have the planter...but not the tractor. I would love to find a 674 or figure out a way to put the 474 on a super A. I'm assuming the mounting pads on the clutch housing are different between the cub and Super A? The toolbar piece wouldn't be hard. I don't want to butcher the part that bolts to the bell housing because of how rare the planter is. If I could find a High/Wide cub I would probably buy that. but I have never seen one in my life so I can't imagine they would be too cheap. I've got until January to figure out what I want to do so I'm trying to look into all options.

Mike

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:42 pm

The mounting pads on the clutch housing are different. It might be fairly straightforward to make an adapter plate to go between the tractor and the planter. You would have to deal with alignment of the drive sprockets from the tractor axle to the planter. The drive attachment for a Super A is normally on the left axle. But I think it can be put on the right to get near alignment for a Cub planter. The Super A drive uses a different sprocket, Cub sprocket won't fit the drive. The sprocket on the planter may need to be moved to a different spot on the shaft to get things in line.

Cub driver
Zip Code: 32309
Tractors Owned: 1972 Gravely 7.6 walk behind convertible w/ 30" deck and rotary plow.
1965 Cub Lo Boy w/ Danco IH C-2 mower.

Postby Cub driver » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:36 am

Make the beds narrower.

sweetcorn70

Postby sweetcorn70 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:57 am

That does seem like a good solution, however our planting scheme and current equipment works really well with the beds we have now. It may be an option in the future though.

Thanks
Mike

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:48 pm

For planting and cultivating, the wheel spacers will be perfectly fine for your application. You're not going to be running the baja 500 or pushing over trees here. Just go for "wide" instead of "high and wide." Having the smaller 24" tires will help to reduce stress on the final drives. They are not THAT delicate.

The main advantage here is the planter will actually fit the tractor and work as intended.