Starter won't turn

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bbhzx12
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Starter won't turn

Postby Bbhzx12 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Hey Folks,
Picked up a 59 Cub to share with my boys. Figured it's a good way for them to learn to turn wrenches and drive. Anyway, I'd like to drive it into my shed for the winter but it's not cooperating. 6.3 volts off a new battery + ground. I got nothing from the starter, cleaned the switch still nothing, had the starter completely rebuilt still nothing. I get the 6.3 from the connection at the starter switch to the body of the starter itself. But not even a buzz when I pull the start handle. I can turn the crankshaft by hand, and it's not in gear.
Any insight?
Going to try new battery cables next, I don't have jumper cables.
If it don't go, chrome it.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter won't turn

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Clean the surface where the starter mounts to the engine. That's where the ground contact is made.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Put your meter back on at the starter. See what the voltage does when you pull the starter lever. If it drops a lot, start measuring voltage across other points in the circuit to see where it goes up. Whichever part of the circuit shows voltage when the lever is pulled has a bad connection.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:47 pm

Hi,
The battery cable connections at the ends of them could be the problem, especially the ground cable. Take them loose one at a time and sand the ends and where they bolt to with sandpaper, wipe them off with a rag so they are clean.
If it still won't work, and the ground is the original to the side of the battery box, you could try removing the battery box, and sanding the underside of it, and the axle casting where it bolts to, and clean them up good. Sometimes the bolts are hard to get out from the rust.
I don't know if that is the problem, but something that can be overlooked maybe.
If you don't care about the ground being the original way, the guys on here have said use a longer ground strap, and attach it to a transmission bolt, then it isn't on the battery box anymore.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing how it originally looked at the battery. It is the pic at the lower left of the page.
Looks like you have 2 posts with the same title. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg

Bbhzx12

Postby Bbhzx12 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks
I plan on hitting the starter mounting surfaces with some sandpaper. I did clean up the existing cable ends, but they aren't in great shape. I haven't had enough hands to check voltage while I pull the handle, lost the alligator clips for my meter. Currently the ground is on a bolt on the shifter plate, not a great spot. I bought long enough cable to ground to a starter bolt, I'd love to use the OEM ground but I have a lot of cleaning to do before that would work! Thanks for the ideas, here's hoping the new ground fixes it.... really can't be much else.

Bbhzx12

Postby Bbhzx12 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Ran my new cables, cleaned the starter mounting surfaces but ran ground to the lower bolt on it anyway. Starter turns.

Now to work on spark!