Unusual touch control pump

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Unusual touch control pump

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:18 pm

I have been tinkering with cubs for over 35 years, and in that amount of time I have had several TC pumps apart, and of all those pumps I have only seen one that had an oil seal rather than an o-ring on the pump shaft, and that one is on one of my own cubs. It has been so long since I had it apart I did not remeber which of my cubs it was on, but when I removed the pump on my 48 to rebuild it today I learned.
2016-11-02_0067.JPG

I like the seal set up, since the current seal is much thinner than the original and can be positioned so it does not run in the original groove if present. It has been around 12 to 15 years since I replaced the seal, and this particular cub gets a lot of use. If anyone needs this seal it is a National 471526. The seal does not come with the rebuild kit, and must be purchased separately if needed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Unusual touch control pump

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:41 pm

John, I had also checked a while back, and there is a speedi-sleeve available in case the shaft is in real bad shape.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Unusual touch control pump

Postby inairam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:06 pm

inairam wrote:When I opened up the pump from the 1949 I found this
49.gif
This was not a leather seal and did leak into the pan and was dirty around the seal

When I opened up the pump from the 1957 I found this
oring.gif
the o ring. No evidence of leaking

When I opened up the pump from ebay the it looked like the 1949
oldstly.gif
was dirty around the seal may have been leaking in the donar cub

Both the 1949 and ebay had the same warner gear 05-87 seal which crosses to SKF 5068. I found this interesting. It may have been a service bulletin or the warner was the only seal that fit replacing the leather seal

oldannew.gif

The machinest at work did not like the idea of opening up the oil seal style to be like the leather seal style. So I will end up with 2 different seals in 3 different clubs.

twobearingboces.gif

I had trouble figuring out what to do with my 1949 because my pump did not match the what everyone was posting for photos about the seal. here is my post from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40331
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!