Battery Drain or not enough charge?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jljmonky
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61875
eBay ID: babyj1981
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Low Boy
Twitter ID: jljmonky

Battery Drain or not enough charge?

Postby jljmonky » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:04 pm

My 55 LoBoy had a great Halloween. We loaded up the hay rack with an estimated 2500 lbs or so of folks and we headed around town for the little people to trick or treat. After about 2 hours the lights started to dim and the engine chug then die and though the lights would come on it did not have enough power to start the tractor. I charged the battery at home and she fired right up.

thoughts? suggestions?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Battery Drain or not enough charge?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Generator or regulator not allowing enough charge. Should maintain charge, with the lights on, unless theres a short, in the wiring circuit. Actual draw of power, to run the engine, is minimal.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:50 pm

The generator system on a Cub is barely adequate to keep up with the demands of running the lights when it is operating at 100% capacity. If the generator system is not 100% up to snuff, or not working at all, it will drain the battery.

Fire it up, turn on the lights, and look at the ammeter.

It should show a charge, meaning, the needle should be to the right of center. Even slightly to the right of center.

What does the ammeter show when the tractor is running with the lights off?

It is very likely that you were also not running at full throttle all the time. The generator's running at diminished output at lower RPMs.

olgreyhair
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
John Deere 445

Postby olgreyhair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:57 pm

My guess is not enough charge. My 52, barely puts out enough. I can run it for hours and the best the battery will do is 6.2 volts. Does anybody know if and how you can adjust the voltage regulator?

ParlowMillFarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02738
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:21 pm

check the tension on the belt.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:26 am

after checking the belt here are a few thing I have done.

Led lights can help reduce the load. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93914 These are options for 6v systems. There are many more options for 12 v systems.

There is a tab with a spring inside the regulator that can be bent to adjust the output of the regulator. I think the how to is covered in a post.

I personally have not had much luck with life of available electro mechanical regulators. I started looking into a solid state regulator http://cloversystems.com/products/other ... regulator/ which comes on at any voltage above the battery instead of a set voltage like the electro mechanical. I have two installed on 6 volt systems and so far they are working well but it has only been one season. They fit inside the regulator body with some soldering if you want to keep the original look. They also tolerate a jump from a 12 volt battery and use a high power diode to ground the field terminal instead of a resister which I always find broken when I have a charging problem.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!