This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Charging problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdrake
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20854

Charging problems

Postby cdrake » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 pm

My 12 volt charging system is not working. I had a bit of a melt down several months ago when one of the wires from the 4 position switch fried down to the starter (after reassembling during a clutch change); I replaced the wire and thought that was it. However, the battery started to run down after one or two uses, so I replaced it.

I checked the voltage at the battery with the tractor running, 12.50 volts (and obviously not charging). I subsequently took the generator off, cleaned the commutator, and replaced it, making sure the belt was at the proper tension. I also removed the voltage regulator, cleaned the contacts and cleaned and reattached the wires; while doing this ,I noticed that the wires to the generator had been reversed at some point (i.e., the "gen" was going to the "F", and the "F" [of the VR] was going to the "A" on the gen.) I corrected this and re started the tractor; still not charging.

So, how can I tease out the culprit- is it the Generator, VR (or possibly the ammeter/4 position switch)??

All replies much appreciated!
:lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Charging problems

Postby tst » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:19 pm

08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif

This should help

cdrake
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20854

Re: Charging problems

Postby cdrake » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks for the chart. I have some questions:

(1) Where is the ground strap?;I have never seen it...

(2). Since day one (way before this problem) ammeter has never so much as moved from the middle; I think that it has never worked. Does this really have bearing on whether the system functions or not??

Thanks in advance,
C Drake

Return to “Farmall Cub”