Newbie with some questions.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
J3 Driver
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 17241
Tractors Owned: 1976 C-160 Wheelhorse
1995 JD F525
1998 JD 955 with 70A loader and 54 blade
JD 71 planter modified for use on Sleevehitch
Brinly plow, disk, and cultivator.
Son has a 1957 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Newbie with some questions.

Postby J3 Driver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 pm

So I got the 1957 cub running and it idles very nicely. High RPM is ok with no load. As soon as you put a load on it it wants to stall. This tractor has been sitting for 10 years. All I've done is rebuild the carb which is the Zenith 262.

There is also a noise coming from the touch control power pack. Kinda like a humming is this normal. See video.

The charging system seems to be working but is at 6.25 volts when running. With the six volt system what should the voltage be when running. I know a 12 volt system is 14-14.5 volts. And 24 volts system is 28 volts when running. That would say that a six volt system should be running 7-7.5 volts when operating. Am I correct with this thinking?

https://youtu.be/VAV5LwH14FM

Thanks.

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Re: Newbie with some questions.

Postby inairam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:26 pm

You are correct about getting more out of the charging system

here is one guide that is very popular download/file.php?id=24938&mode=view

Here is one called the voltage drop test which I have also found helpful viewtopic.php?t=38133

If it is the regulator that is causing a problem I would suggest you consider a solid state regulator viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94792
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi,
The engine needs the choke on some until warmed up, or it could stall when you put a load on it, like driving it.
If that's not it, did you blow out all the carburetor passages with air, to be sure they are open and clean. Dirt can settle in the bottom part of the carb, but could be anywhere in it.
It is normal for the Touch Control to make whining sounds when the engine is running. All of them I have seen do that.
You could check the fluid level, the filler plug is on the left side of the unit, at the top. Check it with the arms in the rear or down position. Fill it up to the hole. The fluid rises in the unit as the arms go to the down position. If you check it with the arms ahead, it will look low on fluid, unless someone filled it with the arms ahead. It will have too much fluid in it if you fill it with the arms ahead.
It uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. The dealers sell it. There are other brands, be sure it works with IH systems before buying it. It holds 3 1/2 pints total. It might need a change if it hasn't been changed in years.
There is a procedure to remove the air from the system if you change the fluid. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how.
Also a page from the Cub service manual, it says 6.6 - 7.2 volts for all the 6 volt voltage regulators that they came with new. The 4th one in the table is for a 12 volt system. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 009-04.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Sounds like the governor is not responding to the load.
Is the governor linkage stiff?
Is there slop in the linkage?
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

J3 Driver
Cub Star
Cub Star
1995 JD F525
Son has a 1957 Cub

Postby J3 Driver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Peter Person wrote:Sounds like the governor is not responding to the load.
Is the governor linkage stiff?
Is there slop in the linkage?

I'll check tomorrow.

J3 Driver
Cub Star
Cub Star
1995 JD F525
Son has a 1957 Cub

Postby J3 Driver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
The engine needs the choke on some until warmed up, or it could stall when you put a load on it, like driving it.
If that's not it, did you blow out all the carburetor passages with air, to be sure they are open and clean. Dirt can settle in the bottom part of the carb, but could be anywhere in it.
It is normal for the Touch Control to make whining sounds when the engine is running. All of them I have seen do that.
You could check the fluid level, the filler plug is on the left side of the unit, at the top. Check it with the arms in the rear or down position. Fill it up to the hole. The fluid rises in the unit as the arms go to the down position. If you check it with the arms ahead, it will look low on fluid, unless someone filled it with the arms ahead. It will have too much fluid in it if you fill it with the arms ahead.
It uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. The dealers sell it. There are other brands, be sure it works with IH systems before buying it. It holds 3 1/2 pints total. It might need a change if it hasn't been changed in years.
There is a procedure to remove the air from the system if you change the fluid. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how.
Also a page from the Cub service manual, it says 6.6 - 7.2 volts for all the 6 volt voltage regulators that they came with new. The 4th one in the table is for a 12 volt system. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 009-04.jpg

Thanks. I have an owners manual coming but it hasn't shown up yet.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Thanks. I have an owners manual coming but it hasn't shown up yet.[/quote]
You can get the manuals online, on this forum. (Quick links, above.)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety