This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Plowing & Tire Chains

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow Plowing & Tire Chains

Postby ricky racer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Urbish wrote:So I put one on this evening. These are huge with 3/8" links. I have them adjusted as tight as they can go and still have a little slack which I know is okay. I have the rears spaced inward as narrow as they'll go. Will have to space them out 1 position to keep the chains from mangling my fenders. They seem to sit good on the newer tires though.

:{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You should get a chance to use them this weekend!!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Folks,

There has been a lot of discussion about snow plowing, so I thought that I would show you what I use here in the “snowbelt” of northeastern Ohio on the several concrete driveways I plow in the neighborhood (I get lots of coffee and way too many cookies). I have arrived at this setup after using various combinations of: no weights, one set of weights, two sets of weights, ag tires, turf tires, no chains, and chains. In all cases the tires were not loaded.

This setup (8.3X24 turf tires, two sets of rear weights, chains, and urethane cutting edge) is far superior to any other combination I tried. Great traction with minimal marking on the concrete (no one has even mentioned marking the concrete as a concern). The chains on turf tires are better than on ag tires since there are no gaps for the cross chains to fall into. I can easily plow at ~ half throttle, seldom do I need to throttle up for lack of power.

The chains are from tirechain.com, part #822255, RMI-Two Ladder Chain 2-Link, currently $271.12 (the same price as when I bought mine in 2014!!!!). This model has twice the number of ladder chains as the normal tire chain.

The yellow part, on the blade, is a urethane cutting edge from fallline.com, part #5000-300-422, Snowplow Blade Blank 60” X 4” X .75”, currently $72. I got this for two reasons: 1) it does not damage the lawn nearly as much as a steel cutting edge and 2) it makes no noise on a concrete driveway, something folks appreciate early in the morning. I have used it two full seasons and it is wearing better than a steel one, far beyond my expectations.

One final observation, a Lo-Boy has a shorter turning radius and would be much more maneuverable than the F-Cub.

Bill

Bill, you stand corrected. There is no such thing as too many cookies..... :shock:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 am

Urbish wrote:So I put one on this evening. These are huge with 3/8" links. I have them adjusted as tight as they can go and still have a little slack which I know is okay. I have the rears spaced inward as narrow as they'll go. Will have to space them out 1 position to keep the chains from mangling my fenders. They seem to sit good on the newer tires though.

If you haven't done so, get about (6) 10" rubber tarp straps at TSC or your local hardware store. Secure the side chains to each other with the straps thru/under the wheel from one chain to the other. This will snug the chains close to the tire and keep them away from your fenders. Mind that you don't put a tarp strap next to your tire's valve stem. Might want to measure the distance around/under your wheel before buying them, but I think 10" is what I have.

Hope this helps.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:55 am

My dad's trick was to let air out of the tire when he was mounting chains. Once he got the chains fairly snug, he would top off the air. That along with the rubber straps did a really good job of getting them tight.
Oftentimes, after he pulled a trick like that on me, he would turn to me and say something like, "Would you have thought of that, College Boy?" Now I really miss that. :)
Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am

Stanton wrote:...get about (6) 10" rubber tarp straps at TSC or your local hardware store.

Was planning to do that next. Big snow predicted Friday evening. Too bad I spent time last weekend switching the rear rims, centers, and weights around from summertime side-hill mowing position to narrow plowing position. Now I have to redo it all to move them 1" outboard. Plus my surprisingly long-lived Walmart air impact wrench (12 years) took a dump last week so I was doing everything by hand. Guess I'll have to pick up a new one on my lunch break today.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 am

Don B. wrote:My dad's trick was to let air out of the tire when he was mounting chains. Once he got the chains fairly snug, he would top off the air. That along with the rubber straps did a really good job of getting them tight...

That is what I do, works great. The rubber device I use is really not necessary, but hey, why not. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:49 am

I like those chains, I bought mine from tirechains.com several years ago around 20) and then all you could get for the 8.3x24 tires was standard chains. I leave mine a little loose so they can work around, and they seem to work quite well. I don't seem to have to much of a traction problem with one set of wheel weights on the wheels and an old fat man on the seat. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:40 am

Wow what a difference! I plowed for a couple hours this morning with ZERO wheel spin. I didn't get 10" rubber bungees yet, but a rope triangle sufficed for now.
Attachments
20161217_090100.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:21 am

We got about 2" this morning and it's changing to rain. To plow or not? I don't trust the rain to melt it. ( I trust the weatherman less)
If if just turns to slush and refreezes you get an ice skating rink with ruts, so I ended up plowing my 200', and 2 of my neighbors driveways. (One I owe endless favors and the other is a senior).
No weights or chains yet and minimal wheel spin. Gonna have to mount them before the next storm. Another thing is to repair the throttle sector. It's a pain to have to hold it to keep the revs up. The touch control worked as it should finally. :D
'Twas a good shakedown before the real thing.
Mike
Ps- gonna look for one of those urithane scraper edges, that metal scraper edge is pretty loud.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

bigbadger12000
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53562
Tractors Owned: 49 FCub
39 Farmall A

Postby bigbadger12000 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:05 pm

I use a small vice grip to hold the throttle. The type that looks a little like a needle nose.

The ag tires are very old an worn so I get good grip without getting thrown around with the chains completely out of the grooves. After reading the string I may try the chains on my turf tires. It will require switching tire around so it will be next year.

Does the plastic strip cut through hard pack/icy snow?

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:37 pm

I stuck a second set of weights on yesterday drives like a tank. I have $32 in these chains from eBay they were truck chains that I joined together.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I really like that "bare bones" tractor!! Not many survived without starters, lights or hydraulics being added....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:53 pm

bigbadger12000 wrote:... Does the plastic strip cut through hard pack/icy snow?

Based upon my experience, all on concrete driveways, "It depends..." There are several variables that affect how well the urethane cutting edge does in removing hard pack/icy snow. Before I went with the urethane I used the steel cutting edge and there were time that I could not remove hard pack/ice with it, and I could raise the front wheels off the ground with down pressure on the plow.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:51 pm

I just got to use my Cub to plow snow for the first time. I didn't have wheel weights or chains. We had about 6" of snow and my driveway is gravel. The Cub handled it like a champ! I was very impressed. We had a few more snow falls, and it kept working great!

It kept working great until I got stuck! I didn't get stuck in my driveway, but rather on the asphalt road apron that was glazed over from the numerous county plowings. So, I decided chains might be the ticket! I had a pair of 11-22.5 single truck chains lying around, so I tried them on. They're a little long, but otherwise fit great and was just the ticket. Eventually, I'll trim them down for a better fit, but otherwise I'm very pleased!

As a side note, I do have ag tires, and some of the cross-chains do fall between the lugs. But, some don't and they keep me from getting stuck!

IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0671.jpeg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Attachments
IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 536 times
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Here's my home made duo cross chains.

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gall ... os&cc=0&s=
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”