This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starting cub after an engine overhaul lube question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bigbadger12000
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53562
Tractors Owned: 49 FCub
39 Farmall A

starting cub after an engine overhaul lube question

Postby bigbadger12000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:09 am

Just finished a complete teardown and overhaul of a 48 cub. Did a resleave/inframe overhaul of a Farmall A about 15 years ago, but it did not have hydraulics and the oil pumping system was not disturbed so I'm unsure of the correct steps. Do I need to bleed the hydraulic system and prime the pump? Do I need to prime the oil system. If so what is a practical way to do so. I was going to crack the hydraulic line at the pump to fill the lines. I did not get the published quantity of hydraulic fluid into the system so I'm guessing the lines are air bound. I did prelube the bearings.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starting cub after an engine overhaul lube question

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 am

The engine has a hole in the oil filter housing about 3/16" to 1/4" in size, you need to put oil in that hole to prime the oil pump.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:39 am

On the hydraulics system leave the fill cap off the reservoir and cycle the control lever 10 - 12 cycles after you have the engine running. That should clear the air from the lines.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:47 pm

I generally crack the hydraulic line connection at the pump, til it leaks oil, the tighten and start. Then follow BigDog's recommendation, above.
Oil pump, as Chipmaker recommends.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling about checking and changing the fluid, and filling the Touch Control system. Paragraph 4 tells how to get the air out of the system. At the end of paragraph 4 it says to fill it the final time with the arms in the rear position.
The fluid level rises as the arms go to the down position.
If you fill it the final time with the arms ahead, it will have too much fluid in it.
If you filled it the last time with the arms ahead, I would take out the filler plug, start the engine, and move the lever and arms to the rear, and let the excess fluid run out.
Nowadays they sell Hy-Tran fluid for it at Case IH dealers. It holds 3 1/2 pints, after a fluid change, that's less than 2 quarts.

Here is a picture of where the hole is that I use for priming the oil pump. Just remove the oil filter top, and oil filter, and it is easy to see, use a light if you need to.
I fill a clean oil can with motor oil, and pump it into the hole, you might need more than one filling of the oil can to fill the passages in the engine.
Watch the oil gauge after starting, it takes 15 - 30 seconds for the gauge to show pressure, it has to fill the oil filter housing before the gauge will show pressure. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg
Attachments
Cub oil filter.jpg

bigbadger12000
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53562
Tractors Owned: 49 FCub
39 Farmall A

Postby bigbadger12000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I found the oil hole inside the oil filter housing and got the oil in using an old style oil can. The picture matched up with what I used. I have a set screw at the top of the housing that I could not get out so glad to see that the hole I used was right. Took a while to fill up the cavity. Been working on getting the timing right and she pops off well. Going to get the cub started in the morning and clean off the driveway as new snow is coming Friday.

I filled the hydraulic unit with the arms back and got just over three pints in. I think with the pipes full I will get the other 1/2 pint in.

Return to “Farmall Cub”