Just bought a Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wendyoakscubs
Zip Code: 52214

Just bought a Cub

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Good afternoon to all,

I am new to this Cub forum, but have several Cub Cadet tractors and implements. I recently bought a '48 Farmall Cub...or, what's left of one to be more proper. All that's there is a front end, engine, bell housing and transmission with rear wheels. It looks like someone has installed the International Lo Boy final drive housings and front end. My overall goal with the Cub is to make it a tractor again, whether it's cost prohibitive or not, because I plan to keep it for use. Since I don't have any of the original sheet metal for that year, could I use other sheet metal from different style years, say the bar grill style or 100 series style? Did they change the way sheet metal was mounted through the years of production? Heres a picture of what I'm working with.
Attachments
farmall cub resized.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just bought a Cub

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Short opinion, go buy a working Cub. I don't see any potential for restoration, to many missing, expensive parts. Not even a good parts tractor.

And then, engine condition, probably very bad or the tractor wouldn't be in that condition. Magneto, condition unknown.
I have an excuse. CRS.

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:01 pm

wendyoakscubs wrote: It looks like someone has installed the International Lo Boy final drive housings and front end. My overall goal with the Cub is to make it a tractor again, whether it's cost prohibitive or not, because I plan to keep it for use. Since I don't have any of the original sheet metal for that year, could I use other sheet metal from different style years, say the bar grill style or 100 series style? Did they change the way sheet metal was mounted through the years of production? Heres a picture of what I'm working with.

I have no idea what you are talking about but sheet metal and grille are the least of your problems.

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks for your opinion, Eugene and indy61.

I understand that sheet metal and grilles are the "least of my worries".

FWIW, I'm asking questions related to the Cub and how I could go about repairing it. I get most people take a complete Cub and restore it to play around with. That's great, good for you guys. What I like to do is take these basket cases and make working tractors for the farm. Call me crazy, silly...I don't care. I'm a pretty competent mechanic and have completed several letter series projects that most would shy away from. This isn't what I'd call a great intro to a new forum but obviously it needs said since all i'm going to get is "opinions"...

Now....

The first question I was getting at was if I could take sheet metal from a 58-63 model Cub and bolt it on this older chassis, given I have the correct brackets and parts to do so. I'd like it to look like a 58-63 Lo Boy when it is completed.

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby indy61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Yes and no.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm guessing you have some more parts that aren't in the picture, since there is no front end of either type on it. In any case, if you want a project go find another complete (or near complete) tractor and use this one for parts.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:19 pm

The answer is, yes. No problem with the sheet metal. Its good to save any old tractors, I think maybe the other guys were thinking that it would be cheaper to restore a better specimen but I appreciate your desire to tackle this one. Good luck and welcome to the greatest Cub website on the planet!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:22 pm

If the rear finals are rotated as in a LoBoy, and the front axle has the short spindles, are you sure you're not starting with a LoBoy? And welcome to the Forum.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ParlowMillFarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02738
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Hey Wendy,

Based on my experience with the forum, no one has a problem if you want to take on a project. But they don't want you to waste your time, so that's the advice you got. (most of us are short of either time or money, some of us both!)

But being one who does projects that might not make sense - just because they are a challenge - I know where you are coming from.

It's not a waste of time if that's how you zen out.

Does that thing even turn over?

Also, what is the serial #

John

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:34 pm

wendyoakscubs wrote: The first question I was getting at was if I could take sheet metal from a 58-63 model Cub and bolt it on this older chassis, given I have the correct brackets and parts to do so. I'd like it to look like a 58-63 Lo Boy when it is completed.

Any sheet metal from any version of a standard Cub or an offset Cub Lo-Boy will fit the parts you have in your picture.

To address Bob's question, it looks like a Farmall seat support. It has the early oil filter cover and early starter lever but appears to have the remains of a battery ignition, so it is a mixed bag of year models

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Get yourself copies of the Operator's Manual, Service Manual and Parts Catalog. Those three will help answer most questions. You can download them in PDF form from the "Quick Links" link above.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Don B.
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
1948 Cub

Postby Don B. » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am working on these 1948 remains now.
20160924_141440small.jpg

Surprisingly, most of it was actually there, sort of, for the most part, generally speaking.
No, I'm not crazy at all.
Circle of Safety

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Dang, I just had a response and I forgot to hit submit!

First off, thank you all for your replies. I appreciate everyone's opinions, I really do. I absolutely agree that there are better specimens out there. I've started out with a lot better. The "fun" I find in this tractor hobby is taking a nearly impossible project like this and making it into a working tractor again. It's kind of crazy, I know. The good news is that this isn't my first tractor project. I started working on Cub Cadets in high school, working on them through college in my free time. That work got me in the collecting mode, making a personal collection of 20 IH Cub Cadets currently, and owning over 100 throughout the years. I started farming in the Spring of 2015 and was in need of farm tractors. I switched from working on Cubs to my farm tractos/equipmentThis past spring/summer I took a '47 Farmall H that was similar to this (a little better maybe....maybe is being kind) and now it's sitting in the stable with several red farm tractors ready to work. At the young age of 25 I find myself stubborn and not giving up on something put before me...so here we are.

In my previous research since I brought this home last week, I have a 48 Farmall Cub serial number 17651 according to the tag. It must be a Farmall engine, front end housing and transmission. Along the way the Farmall axles were swapped with Lo Boy final drives and front axle. As I reassembled the front axle there seems to be no difference in that, just the height of the spindles. It has a distributor instead of a mag. The engine is loose. Radiator is most likely junk, but will have to test to see. The engine clutch engages/disengages and it goes into gear. Yipee!

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby indy61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:02 pm

17651 Could be a 1963 Lo-Boy.

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:11 pm

On my Cub serial number tag, pertaining to the model number...on my tag it says F-CUB. Did they note the difference between a Farmall Cub and an International Cub Lo Boy on the tag?