Just bought a Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just bought a Cub

Postby indy61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes they did but it could have been replaced with an older one if it froze and cracked.

wendyoakscubs
Zip Code: 52214

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:43 pm

It will be a mixture of parts to say the least. I hope to find a few parts here and there soon.

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby indy61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Well, you came to right place for help and parts.
Congratulations, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Before you purchase parts, you need to find out the condition of the engine.

The engine is not sleeved.
I have an excuse. CRS.

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 pm

As stated before, the engine is loose. The head is off currently and it looks like it was using some oil. I want to pull the pan off and take a look around. If I get a head gasket I would be tempted to clean things up, re-ring the engine and see how well it runs.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Could be a 1963 lo boy that someone swapped an 1948 engine in to.
Check your casting codes as well as the serial number.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.
You can check the casting codes that IH made in the castings, and see what year they were made.
Here is info from TM Tractor showing where the codes are, and how to read them.
You might need to clean them to read them. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/castdate_loc.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_004.htm
Last edited by Glen on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:If the rear finals are rotated as in a LoBoy, and the front axle has the short spindles, are you sure you're not starting with a LoBoy? And welcome to the Forum.

Bob

Judging by the seat post it's an F Cub.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:18 pm

One other thought, before you nickel and dime yourself to death buying the odd part here and there establish first that the engine is worth keeping. If it is go find a neglected but complete tractor with a frozen engine or a cracked block. That kind of thing kills its value and you can take it off someone's hands for a song.
One stop shopping for the parts you'll need.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Bbhzx12
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:16 am

FWIW I got a rusty 59, mostly intact but nowhere near running. It's got some paint, runs and drives now. Long story short your rear wheels are in a helluva lot better shape than mine, so I'm a bit jealous! I got it about 6 months ago, and have been surprised how easily I can find parts. This forum, Craigslist, EBay, even new parts. Heck I got a new gas cap free because of a recall! That tractor can definitely be put back together. To re-word some opinions, it may be worthwhile and less expensive buying a parts/donor tractor with good sheet metal rather than each piece individually, and you'd get some spares or you could re-sell the extras. Have fun with it, looking forward to seeing how it comes together! Brian
If it don't go, chrome it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes, they did.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:38 am

Well wendyoaks, it depends what you want out of the project.
Hydraulics will bump the cost up.
Steering would be my first concern. Your picture shows big wheels up front, more torque on a cub gearbox?
If you are handy with sheet metal you might keep costs of tin replacement down and have more options for a fuel tank.
Gonna take time regardless.
I could have used parts off your tractor, probably still could , and you could use parts off mine ....maybe that is part of why you read suggestions of buying another tractor ( if price and components are right).
Buying what you need vs not really needing seems to affect the price sometimes! L.o.l.
Consider what you are working with is worth .

Then what a work ready f cub averages, your time value , and final costs of building your project.
If time is no object you have greater options ,including enjoying the project. Because you want to rather than have to.

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks again all for your replies.

I have had many phone calls and emails and PM's regarding parts. Thanks for all those who responded thus far.

I have a lead on some parts from a gentleman that responded to one of my ads. If we can work out a deal, then I may get most of the parts to make it complete.

Waif- Thanks for the reply! There is no doubt this will be an expensive project. But, as stated earlier, this isn't my first rodeo with tractor repair. A lot of people question my reasoning as to why I like to take these tractors from nothing to running, working machines. Well, the main reason is you know what you have at the end of the project. I can go buy a used Cub off any tractor site, dealer, or private seller for 1500 to possibly 3000 dollars (what my research has seen so far). But, with all purchases, you have the used equipment factor, seller honesty/knowledge factor, price/distance away from home factor, etc. What are you really buying when you buy a used Cub? More than likely, unless you have all the receipts/pictures/proof of what you have done to the tractor, you aren't buying anything a whole heck of a lot better than what I'm starting out with (except WAY more parts, LOL). SO, in the end, if the block isnt cracked and I can get the parts I need for a reasonable price, I think I will come out fine.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:54 pm

wendyoakscubs wrote:There is no doubt this will be an expensive project. But, as stated earlier, this isn't my first rodeo with tractor repair. A lot of people question my reasoning as to why I like to take these tractors from nothing to running, working machines. Well, the main reason is you know what you have at the end of the project. I can go buy a used Cub off any tractor site, dealer, or private seller for 1500 to possibly 3000 dollars (what my research has seen so far). But, with all purchases, you have the used equipment factor, seller honesty/knowledge factor, price/distance away from home factor, etc. What are you really buying when you buy a used Cub? More than likely, unless you have all the receipts/pictures/proof of what you have done to the tractor, you aren't buying anything a whole heck of a lot better than what I'm starting out with (except WAY more parts, LOL). SO, in the end, if the block isnt cracked and I can get the parts I need for a reasonable price, I think I will come out fine.

That makes a lot of sense. The one Cub I've kept is the one that I rebuilt EVERYTHING on it. I know every inch of that Cub inside and out. After all of that work, it's never given me one issue in all of the years I've owned it. Your method of buying a lower priced "kit" and going completely through it makes more sense than buying a $1500 Cub and ending up having to go all through it to get a top quality tractor. :coffee:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Go for the gold!!!--If you have time and can make parts fit----have parts from a dozen tractors if that is what it takes!!!---I would!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny