Just bought a Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wendyoakscubs
Zip Code: 52214

Re: Just bought a Cub

Postby wendyoakscubs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Exactly. It's one thing if you like to jockey tractors to make some extra cash. If you do that then a rebuild from the ground up is not your thing. As stated earlier in a post, I did this exact concept to a '47 Farmall H. There wasn't anything special about it other than it was sitting at my grandpa's place in the way. It was missing the rear tires and a few small things. It was stuck and the oil pan was off it for 35-40 years (so the story goes). Got the engine unstuck, different cylinder head, new rings, good used pistons and sleeves, carb kit, engine gasket kit, rear tires and rims, new front tires and rims, refurbished tank, new wiring, tune up, alternator, battery, different used radiator, thermostat, seat rebuild kit....and it's not painted yet! But boy it runs good! And just look at the prices running H's go for these days....YIKES!! But, I know what I have!

Sorry for the off topic part above, but it's just another story to add to my point. The Lo Boy is a major project but in the end I will know what I have.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:45 am

wendyoakscubs wrote:And just look at the prices running H's go for these days....YIKES!!
Tractor prices are probably location related.

In central Missouri, field ready tractors, H Farmall- about $1000- to $1500, Farmall Cub - $1500, $2000- for an M.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:44 am

What you need to find is an estate auction of an IH collector. This one I went to almost two years ago, the guy had dozens of tractors, mostly non-running, and pallet after pallet of nothing but old tractor parts. Tons of Cub stuff. I had my own basket case at the time, and the auction couldn't have been more timely. I ended up filling my truck with all the Cub parts I needed to fix the tractor, and a few other fun items. It got so bad at the end of the sale the auctioneer started looking to me for bids on everything.

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Worked on the Cub today and looked a little closer at the engine. The water jacket was completely filled up with scale and rust. I used my Shop Vac to clean some of it out. I got out the wire brush out on the drill and cleaned up the top of the head and valves. Looks like number 1 intake looks very worn...the others don't look terrible. It could be a possible reason why it was parked. Cleaned up the combustion chambers a bit, nothing too out of line at first glance. Also removed the top water jacket elbow off the top of the head to remove more rust and scale. It is broken and the bolts were badly rusted. A cut off wheel and Vise Grips removed the heads of the bolts and the studs came right out of the head. Next I will take the pan off to check oil pump, rod bearings, mains, etc.
Attachments
cub 4.jpg
cub 3.jpg
cub 2.jpg
cub 1.jpg

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi,
The oil pump on a Cub engine is not accessed by removing the oil pan, the oil pump intake screen is there, it should be cleaned if dirty.
The oil pump is at the rear end of the camshaft, it is run by the camshaft. You have to split the tractor, and remove the flywheel to get to it.
Here are pages from the Cub service manual GSS-1411 showing it. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-53.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-56.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-57.jpg

wendyoakscubs

Postby wendyoakscubs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Update on the Cub: I found a gentleman that has some of the parts I need to get started. I bought several things from him to get me started, such as a manifold, carb, air cleaner pipe, and engine linkages. Still need to get an engine gasket kit and will most likely buy a set of valves. Just waiting on the parts so I can get started!