This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Slow Leak in Tire of Model 100 Manure Spreader

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Slow Leak in Tire of Model 100 Manure Spreader

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:03 am

There was a whole lot wrong in the video. During the video there was a short clip of the "expert" rolling off a rear tire with rim. Assumption, preparing to demonstrate how to dismount and mount a rear tractor tire. Dismounting a rear tractor tire is much easier with the rim still on the tractor.

chickadeefarmsnc: Suggest planning on attending a CubFest. Put your name in for a demonstration on repairing a front and rear tire and patching an inner tube. The process is not difficult and quite inexpensive if you do it yourself.

Slime or equivalent inner tube sealant. I have a thorn problem and use the sealant in my tractor's front tires. Most of the time the inner tubes holds air with the sealant installed. Had several flats in the last couple of years, bad valve cores. Had one tire with "Slime" installed that finally wouldn't hold air. Broke the tire down. 14 holes from thorns in the inner tube. Didn't patch, bought a new tube. Took me a while to remove the thorns from the tire.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 am

Eugene wrote:Not a good idea to put a new tube in a tire that has a puncture in the old tube, without first finding and removing what ever punctured the old tube.

It's very likely that the "low leak" might be caused by rust buildup on the rim and punctured the tube. In almost every case that I have dealt with where tires/rims have been sitting for a while, especially if the tires have not been kept properly inflated, rust will build up on the inside of the rim. If this is your case, remove/have it removed and tackle the rust first. Otherwise you will soon have the same problem all over again. Several ways to do this: electrolis, wire brush, grinder/brush etc. Get rid of all the rust that you can, then use an encapsulator like OSPHO phosphorus solution and repaint before reassembling the tire. It's a bit of trouble but yields a long lasting repair, Might even outlast the owner. :lol:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:53 am

Send a PM to Dale Finch (member) She is just 36 miles from you. She will probably know of a tire shop close to you. She might even come over and help.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 pm

I pretty sure I learned how to change front tire tubes from researching this site. Of course, like mentioned above be very careful of pinching the new tubes :oops: .

Also, TM, one of our sponsors is the place to get new tubes.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm

A good tire shop will have the correct size 2 they will also check the casing when they take the old tube out to check for a nail in the casing or Thorn that caused the puncture in the first place some valve caps have a notch top that can be used to remove and replace the stem core yes you can still buy them
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Mike in Louisiana wrote:Send a PM to Dale Finch (member) She is just 36 miles from you. She will probably know of a tire shop close to you. She might even come over and help.

Hello! I'm Dale and am about an hour away from you. I have been lucky in the past, in that my friend owned a shop, and ordered tires and tubes for me at cost. (I believe they went through a distributor, American Tires) I generally sandblasted and primed them, making sure everything look solid and smooth, then took the rim and tire and tube to Chapel Hill Tires (at University Mall here in Chapel Hill), where there is still a guy who knows how to use tire irons! Their prices have been reasonable, and it sure beats doing it myself!!!

Whenever I think about using tire irons, I am reminded of the phrase about the monkey and the football...!!
:shock:
Give me a holler (PM me) if I can help. He has retired, but his daughter is running the shop. Not sure if I still get deals, but would be happy to ask!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”